Depressed44
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I’m in year 9 and I was wondering how many hours am I supposed to revise In subjects like maths

I really struggle with maths on my recent test I got 36/
88 and in most of my tests I get 20-40 out of 88

Can anyone please give me resources for example links to websites or textbooks to buy

And any revision techniques for maths

I would also really appreciate if someone could plwae tell me how to structure my maths notes

Also any tips for procrastinating
I also say I will revise tommorow but it’s been nearly a whole school year

Thanks
Rohan o/
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Maths Genie and Maths Made Easy are good for some quick practice. Cognito is also really good since you can make custom exercises with topics you choose pertaining to your strengths and weaknesses (you will need to sign up tho. it is free but you need an email. If you have the time then you could do GCSE past papers for your school's exam board at foundation tier and slowly move on to higher (if you need to get there by y10 or y11). Revision World has a lot of those. Hope this helps =D
Links:
https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/
https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/gcse.html
https://cognitoedu.org/dashboard
https://revisionworld.com
Markusssss
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I got 9 in Maths and Further Maths. I also study A-level Maths and Further Maths. In my opinion, there are no revision techniques for Maths. Do more past papers and do more questions! Don't give up. I think you should spend your time doing more Maths questions rather than thinking about how to structure your notes. Maths is different from other subjects, doing more questions is better than just looking in your notes.
coolblackguy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
use mathsgenie (watch the videos and do the questions) and corbettmaths (do the questions- watching the video is optional) also keep doing the questions like eg once every four days so that u get familiar with it
Depressed44
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you so much

One last question, is it better if I use the online websites or buy textbooks
coolblackguy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
to be honest, i think it depends on you but for me i just use online websites because they give you practice questions and a proper explanation on how to do it.

also i didnt read the part where you asked how to structure maths notes:
i usually put a practice question i didn’t understand and the examples in the videos onto flashcards. i just read it or try and rewrite how to do it but i’d recommend using quizlet - it’s so helpful! for maths on quizlet, i would only use learn, write, test and match because you don’t need to have an exact answer whereas on spelling you do. if u get marked wrong on it, as long as you know it was close to correct then it’s fine.

let me know if you need anymore help
Last edited by coolblackguy; 1 month ago
Rohan o/
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Depressed44)
Thank you so much

One last question, is it better if I use the online websites or buy textbooks
A mix of both is very useful but it all comes down to personal preference.
tahildacanter
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think one of the best ways to improve is to identify which particular topics within maths you struggle with, particularly topics in recent exams.
Once you find that, use websites like corbettmaths and mathsgenie (or any others you find useful) and understand that topic - when I say understand, I mean get it through your head rather than writing it down and hoping the information will set in some time.
When you understand the topic and how to complete questions relating to it, you should attempt practice questions and exam questions. Maths is not just about remembering equations, but applying your understanding.

Another thing you really should do is look at past papers as you will begin to see patterns in recurring topics. I wish you luck, don't stress yourself too much - the fact you are considering revising right now is perfect timing and you have ages to improve.
Last edited by tahildacanter; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
29.55%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (17)
38.64%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.55%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.82%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.27%

Watched Threads