A-level physics (particles) question!

Watch this thread
olivier_
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The proton number of uranium is 92 and the proton number of radon is 88. Which series of decays turns a uranium nucleus into a radon nucleus?

So this was a multiple choice question and the correct option was:

"alpha + beta minus + beta minus + alpha + alpha"

But I'm confused as to why this is correct, because to go from 92 to 88 you need to decrease by 4 not increase. Alpha is +2 and beta minus is -1 so wouldn't the decay equation give +2-1-1+2+2=+4 overall?

Or would the effect on the proton number of the uranium be the opposite in order to balance out the equation with the +4 so in fact the proton number is 92-4=88?
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
You've got it the wrong way around. The uranium nucleus is losing nucleons in the alpha decay. Beta-minus decay increases atomic number.
olivier_
Rep:
(Original post by Sinnoh)
You've got it the wrong way around. The uranium nucleus is losing nucleons in the alpha decay. Beta-minus decay increases atomic number.
Ty for the reply In my question I suggested two opposite ways of thinking about it, so which one did you mean is wrong??
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by olivier_)
Alpha is +2 and beta minus is -1 so wouldn't the decay equation give +2-1-1+2+2=+4 overall?
This is wrong

Or would the effect on the proton number of the uranium be the opposite in order to balance out the equation with the +4 so in fact the proton number is 92-4=88?
This is correct

The nucleus loses an alpha particle's worth of nucleons in the decay. Yes an alpha particle has 2 protons and 2 neutrons, so an atomic number of +2, but this is being lost from the original nucleus, so you have to subtract it.
olivier_
Rep:
(Original post by Sinnoh)
This is wrong

This is correct

The nucleus loses an alpha particle's worth of nucleons in the decay. Yes an alpha particle has 2 protons and 2 neutrons, so an atomic number of +2, but this is being lost from the original nucleus, so you have to subtract it.
That cleared the confusion, tysm
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.96%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.68%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.38%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
13.98%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads