Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes or no please? If yes why?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yes. Because its damn hard.

Realistically, when I tell people I do philosophy they tend to go 'wow....that's hard'.

ReputationRep:
    I would respect anyone with a Philosophy degree.
    You/They probably do some real brain numbing stuff!

ReputationRep:
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Realistically, when I tell people I do philosophy they tend to go 'wow....that's hard'.
    :laugh: yeah. Whenever some has asked me what I've studied (these people include solictors and top consultant doctors) it has that obvious wow factor. They'll raise an eyebrow or take a step back and say, "too difficult/abstract for me".

I don't think they are being disingenuous.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because... of a lot of things.

ReputationRep:
    I *think* it was Hume that said If a man is good for nothing else he can at least teach philosophy or something like that...despite this though, I think it is, because a good philosopher is a good thinker. Philosophy is the oldest academic subject in the world.. Of course its respected, its older than science!...

The only thing stopping me from applying for it is the fact that If you wanna go into the subject afterwards, it looks like your stuck into teaching it...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who appreciates academic ability will understand that a BA Phil is pretty damned hard to attain a 2:1+ in, and also that it involves an analytical rigour that far surpassesthat of most other subjects. Some BA Phil degrees are quite frankly shocking, but the top 10 unis and beyond certainly carry a well-deserved kudos when it comes to these degrees.

If you're thinking of working for someone who isn't used to taking on graduates with pretty significant qualifications and reasonably keen minds then it will just seem like a joke degree.

Even if your degree can't tell your future employer what kind of a person you are, you get space to write about what you are interested in and how you are directing your own development, so it's no biggie either way.

You decide who you'd like to work for and then you can see whether a BA Phil is right for you.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is HARD. You have to be clear headed, logical, analytical, cool thinking . . . it is not the place for prejudice, emotional outbursts and ill considered views.

It is also an exceptionaly old subject, and one that affects every aspect of life. Even scientists and mathematicians sometimes has to give up and hand an issue over to philosophers.

The kind of people who don't respect philosophy are those who either don't really know what it is/how much scope it has, or those who don't care for/appreciate a keen mind and academic rigour.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing epistemology and philosophy at A level and my head is threatening to explode. I totally respect anyone who can handle it well at university level - I personally will not want to handle another 3 years of it!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I didn't realise people were in awe of Philosophy that much :eek:

ReputationRep:
    a teacher at my college said that be careful because a few people go err "snooker loopy" she wasn't a philosophy teacher but had mods at uni. My philosophy teacher seemed alright...

ReputationRep:
    A Philosophy degree demonstrates not only - as my keen companions have already noted - high levels of logical and analytical ability (the same levels recognised within a science degree) but also the creativity, insight and argumentative skill associated with every art/humanity out there. I believe that most people on this particular thread would agree with me for saying that a Philosophy Graduate is a clear thinking all-rounder; perfect for fitting into any sort of job, from computing to journalism.
    Here endeth the lesson.

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy definitely should be respected, I think as other people have pointed out it's certainly gained in popularity over the last few years as a degree. I even heard on the open day for Edinburgh it was the most employable humanities degree now...

The most important thing I reckon it teaches you is to just put together a logical and consistent argument (which may sound pretty basic but seriously, they will RIP your essays apart) - something which will come in useful in a variety of different careers. Besides that, it's just a fascinating subject, thinking about the issues which fundamentally change our world but few people take the time out to really think about...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 19, 2008

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.