my “best friend” who I hate is going to the same uni as me

Watch this thread
Evie78787823
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My “best friend” who’s only really my best friend because our parents are friends has firmed the same uni as me. We have know each other since we were very young but I just find her insufferable, she is so other confident and turns everything into an unspoken competition. I can’t imagine anything worse than going to a small campus uni with her and now that’s come true.
I know I sound really mean but has anyone got any advice??
R4V
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Evie78787823)
My “best friend” who’s only really my best friend because our parents are friends has firmed the same uni as me. We have know each other since we were very young but I just find her insufferable, she is so other confident and turns everything into an unspoken competition. I can’t imagine anything worse than going to a small campus uni with her and now that’s come true.
With the hopes that you get different accom and your on the a different course you should be fine. Most people once their in with their flat mates they bond with them. Where are you going?
Leslie Knope
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
Did she apply for the same course as you?
Nairbear
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you 100% don’t want to stay friends you should slowly distance yourself until she gets the hint or straight up tell her but it definitely depends on how she’d react to being told straight up - you don’t want it to turn toxic and have drama in uni. Could this also bring up drama between each other’s parents if they are friends?

Otherwise think of her positive traits and talk to her about them if shes the kind of person open minded to improving herself in order to help a friendship? But this sounds the unlikely option for what you’re wanting to do. I don’t think it’s mean to not want to be friends with someone because your feelings are important just make sure it Doesn’t turn nasty as you will be on the same campus, make sure you can be civil around each other in case u run in to her while at uni.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I want to a small uni and there was a guy from my old school and collage there I saw the guy from school all of twice and the guy from collage once it’s unlikely you’ll see her much if you don’t want to just try to get a different accommodation and hope you don’t join the same society’s you’ll be able to distance your self if she contacts you just make an excuse “Oh I’ve already got plans things like that.)
Son of the Sea
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you’re not on the same course you will probably barely see her. That’s your opportunity to stop being a doormat and take action to end the friendship such as ghosting, blocking and so on.
Last edited by Son of the Sea; 1 month ago
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,
Even if its a small campus uni you're unlikely to run into her very often, maybe only in passing on the campus. Especially if you're not doing the same course. You shouldn't let something like that affect your uni experience so that you're constantly paranoid about her because I think you'll look back in future and realise how silly that is. Not saying you're silly but in the grand scheme of things one person who hasn't directly offended you is insignificant. Trust me, you're going to run into a lot of people like that at uni anyway so its just good practice on how to deal with them I suppose. Don't be rude and completely avoid her, but maybe next time she's really getting on your nerves have an honest conversation with her. Tell her how she's making you feel and ask her to try and be more self aware. When people get to uni they realise they need to handle things more maturely so conversations like this are surprisingly well received. I hope this helps,
Grace.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
28.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (18)
39.13%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.35%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.35%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8.7%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.04%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.17%

Watched Threads