The Student Room Group

What is the most mentally draining school subject?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rebelw
so you dislike the fact there are immutable physical laws??

No, it’s things with particles for example and we don’t know much about them. Quite annoying
Original post by fluous
I found gcse chemistry more and more draining when I did it. I wasn't bad at it but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I like your pfp :smile:
maths, because the lessons were always the least interactive. We get maybe 5 to 15 mins of teaching, then it's 50/60 following mins of "alright work from the textbook, quietly"
For me it was always maths because I struggled the most with it
Original post by Rufus The Red
English, the over-analysis is painful.
At risk of exaggeration, my English teacher makes analysis of pretty much this order:

I much prefer reading books when I don't have to look at every single word and stretch out some tenuous link between them and a deeper meaning.

Same, English lit and the A-level MFL writing papers are a no-no (they suck so bad imo). Please European Governments, let me read a book at school without me having to do a 1 hour analysis on it please thanks. I don't care why Lady Macbeth is being presented as a masculine character, what problems the characters face french book/film X. Just let me enjoy the stuff man.

Physics as well, not a fan.
Original post by Abzdot
No, it’s things with particles for example and we don’t know much about them. Quite annoying

To be fair there are a lot of things we know about particle physics, it's just you can't teach it to GCSE/A-level students because the prerequisite is, at minimum, multivariable calculus and linear algebra, which is normally not started until first year of uni (even the basics of matrix algebra isn't started until A-level Further Maths).

That said it is a developing field and there are areas still being filled in, but there is plenty that is well known - it just can't be easily disseminated without some background. Without the mathematical formalism and understanding of it, it's difficult to give more than a superficial overview of the subject.
IDK. I'd say English at GCSE definitely but I do have fond memories of it from earlier when it wasn't just rote learning quotations.
Good question. Was physics for me I was so rubbish at it; but daughters studying a degree in particle physics. No idea where she gets its from lol
(edited 1 year ago)
English and Art
Best I can draw is a stick man :biggrin:
Original post by rosy_posy
I like your pfp :smile:

Honestly wasn't expecting a pfp compliment as a quote to a post about how much I disliked gcse chemistry but thank you anyway :]
Reply 50
Original post by rebelw
chinese speaking 1 on 1 classes. My teacher was harsh and scary lol

I guess I am a better teacher than even though I am not qualified

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending