I don’t know if I should drop out or not.

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Okay so when I decided to do my degree, in film and media, I had literally zero clue what I wanted to do with my life and recently I’ve found my passion and what I want to do for a career and it doesn’t align at all with my career. I’ve just finished first year of uni and I’m really enjoying it but it’s a lot of debt for it to not pay out. My dream career is something within reach but will take at-least 5 years if not more to come into fruition and this is why I’m confused. Obviously I need to peruse some other career in the meantime but I don’t know if it’s worth getting a degree for it to not be used for very long. Im feeling so much pressure to carry on with uni from family members and I know it’s my life but I’m just so scared of letting everyone down or being viewed as less than for choosing to drop out. Im not sure if getting an apprenticeship would be a good move and then on into a short career but I just don’t know where to start, wether to carry on or how to tell anyone. I’m just really lost to id really appreciate any advice.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Have you talked to your university careers department. You should be able to book an appointment to go through the specifics of your ambitions and options.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Okay so when I decided to do my degree, in film and media, I had literally zero clue what I wanted to do with my life and recently I’ve found my passion and what I want to do for a career and it doesn’t align at all with my career. I’ve just finished first year of uni and I’m really enjoying it but it’s a lot of debt for it to not pay out. My dream career is something within reach but will take at-least 5 years if not more to come into fruition and this is why I’m confused. Obviously I need to peruse some other career in the meantime but I don’t know if it’s worth getting a degree for it to not be used for very long. Im feeling so much pressure to carry on with uni from family members and I know it’s my life but I’m just so scared of letting everyone down or being viewed as less than for choosing to drop out. Im not sure if getting an apprenticeship would be a good move and then on into a short career but I just don’t know where to start, wether to carry on or how to tell anyone. I’m just really lost to id really appreciate any advice.
Hi there,
Sorry to hear you're feeling this way. Dropping out after one year is not uncommon. It takes a long time to give it a proper chance and I'd say if you're still feeling bad about it after a year then maybe dropping out is a good option. I changed course after one year to a very different one to my first and I'm really grateful that I did. I knew after I'd given my first course the time that it wasn't for me and didn't align with my true passions. I think family members will support you in your decision, because its not like you're dropping out completely and doing nothing. You've found a passion and have an idea of what career you want to pursue which is more than most can say, so why not go for it? I think sometimes we conflate other people's opinions in our heads, they shouldn't think less of you because you gave something a fair go and made the strong decision not to carry on because you knew it wasn't right for you. I hope this helps and good luck in your future.
-Grace
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, its fantastic that you've discovered your passion! It's great to have a long term career goal and if its what you know you want to do in your life you should start working towards it. I understand the pressure of not letting family down or feeling that not continuing with something makes you a failure, but it doesn't. A lot of people don't actually know what they want to do when they are applying for courses, and first year is often when people discover what they actually do or don't want, so don't feel alone in this. If this course isn't going to help you with what you want long term then you would be better off spending your energy elsewhere.

You could do a different course more aligned to your passion and long term goal, or go into apprenticeships or a related job. If you do want to go the apprenticeship route this tells you more about it: https://www.ucas.com/understanding-apprenticeships . You should speak with both your academic advisor and your careers team for advice

Just be honest with your friends and family, tell them about your passion, and if you are worried about how they'll react then perhaps speak with them after you have a plan in place, when you have decided what you are going to do and how, and the careers team can help you with this. Your academic advisor will also have helped a lot of students in similar situations and will be able to tell you about the dropping out process, and signpost you to all the relevant services.

I hope you find this useful.

- Rosie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads