Please help - will the school make me repeat year 12 12?

Watch this thread
bookworm2021
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys so I am in a very bad situation. I have been absent quite a lot from 6th form and I reckon my attendance is really terrible like 69%, especially this term. The week before my AS tests I genuinely got sick with extremely bad acid reflux and sometimes I have missed tests, which is due to being sick caused by intense anxiety. The problem is, I have been working at a C level for all my subjects, and also I have some assignments to give in but this week I had my end of year 12 tests. I tried my best to come to my English one and I got through half of it before becoming really sick and throwing up. I missed the Biology one due to being sick with diarhhea, lots of dizziness and now it’s Friday and I just feel so weak and like a stone has been dropped on my head I really can’t take the Physics test my brain is just blocked and I can barely get up. I really really don’t want to repeat year 12, but the school said they would use these tests for our predicted grades and I haven’t done them. What should I do?((((
DataVenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bookworm2021)
Oh, the irony.

I really really don’t want to repeat year 12, but the school said they would use these tests for our predicted grades and I haven’t done them.
When the school produce a predicted grade they have to be as accurate as possible, meaning that they need to be able to justify that prediction some how.

You say that you've been "working at a C level for all my subjects". Is that from mocks? End-of-topic tests? Homework assignments? If the school have sufficient evidence to be able to predict what you're likely to achieve at the end of Year 13, then they can use that evidence for your predicted grades - if they choose to do so. They may have a policy of not doing so, of course, but they can choose to do so if they wish.

I really really don’t want to repeat year 12
Based on your attendance, you've missed about 1/3 of Year 12, right? And presumably you've not been able to catch-up because you've been ill. Do you think you're likely to be able to make-up for that loss of learning during Year 13, whilst studying all the new topics from that year? If you were allowed to continue into Year 13, but got a set of D grades in the end (because you've missed so much), would you be happy with that?

Is there any reason to suspect things will change for you next year? You say "I genuinely got sick", which might suggest that not all of your absence was because you were actually sick. You also talk about "intense anxiety" - it that the primary cause or your absence?

Does your 6th Form even allow you to retake Year 12? Not all do.
bookworm2021
Rep:
(Original post by DataVenia)
Oh, the irony.

When the school produce a predicted grade they have to be as accurate as possible, meaning that they need to be able to justify that prediction some how.

You say that you've been "working at a C level for all my subjects". Is that from mocks? End-of-topic tests? Homework assignments? If the school have sufficient evidence to be able to predict what you're likely to achieve at the end of Year 13, then they can use that evidence for your predicted grades - if they choose to do so. They may have a policy of not doing so, of course, but they can choose to do so if they wish.

Based on your attendance, you've missed about 1/3 of Year 12, right? And presumably you've not been able to catch-up because you've been ill. Do you think you're likely to be able to make-up for that loss of learning during Year 13, whilst studying all the new topics from that year? If you were allowed to continue into Year 13, but got a set of D grades in the end (because you've missed so much), would you be happy with that?

Is there any reason to suspect things will change for you next year? You say "I genuinely got sick", which might suggest that not all of your absence was because you were actually sick. You also talk about "intense anxiety" - it that the primary cause or your absence?

Does your 6th Form even allow you to retake Year 12? Not all do.
It’s from end of topic tests and homework assignments. I’ve been able to catch up on all of the work that I’ve missed apart from a few English essays but I have done most of them, so I think I could catch up.

The cases where I’m not genuinely sick I am still quite ill as I throw up a few times, and have a blackout and a little cold but it is more due to anxiety I believe.

I am really hoping to get as much help as possible for my health issues, and I really just don’t want to repeat year 12, most of the colleges around me are extremely extremely terrible, and I wouldn’t be able to cope. Is there any way of convincing them that I would like to resit or anything like that?
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
...I really just don’t want to repeat year 12, most of the colleges around me are extremely extremely terrible, and I wouldn’t be able to cope. Is there any way of convincing them that I would like to resit or anything like that?
My guess is that their default approach would be not to force you to retake Year 12. This is because the government will only fund the extra year under particular circumstances - e.g. a "a serious illness that has contributed to missing significant parts of the initial first or second year of study". (I'm quoting that from another school's web site.)

Is there an official policy which covers this topic? Have you checked the school's web site?

If you can find a policy, it might provide your next step.
bookworm2021
Rep:
(Original post by DataVenia)
My guess is that their default approach would be not to force you to retake Year 12. This is because the government will only fund the extra year under particular circumstances - e.g. a "a serious illness that has contributed to missing significant parts of the initial first or second year of study". (I'm quoting that from another school's web site.)

Is there an official policy which covers this topic? Have you checked the school's web site?

If you can find a policy, it might provide your next step.
The problem is that I go to a private selective 6th form, and they said that if I didn’t get 3Cs they would “highly advise/ encourage“ that I go elsewhere. I can’t find anything on this policy on their website unfortunately...
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The problem is that I go to a private selective 6th form, and they said that if I didn’t get 3Cs they would “highly advise/ encourage“ that I go elsewhere. I can’t find anything on this policy on their website unfortunately...
Well, that would have been really useful information to include in your initial post.

All you can do is hope that "highly advise/encourage" doesn't mean "force".
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
It's difficult to advise anything when it's so clear there's a particular answer you want to hear.

I mean, what you want is for it simultaneously to have been impossible for you to do well in these exams, because you have been so ill over such a long period of time and missed so much education as a result... and for you to be perfectly ready and capable to carry on into year 13.

They're mutually exclusive. Either you are miles behind on your work or you aren't.

If it's just a brief period of illness and now you're all caught up and recovered, they should let you sit the exams next week instead. It's vanishingly unlikely that nobody else has ever been ill in the throwing up and unable to do the exams sense over the exam period at the end of year 12, it will be a solved problem.

The worst of all worlds is that they say "never mind dear", let you go into year 13, miles behind, still ill, and unable to attend regularly enough to keep up with new work never mind catch up. You're much better off addressing the issue now.
bookworm2021
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
It's difficult to advise anything when it's so clear there's a particular answer you want to hear.

I mean, what you want is for it simultaneously to have been impossible for you to do well in these exams, because you have been so ill over such a long period of time and missed so much education as a result... and for you to be perfectly ready and capable to carry on into year 13.

They're mutually exclusive. Either you are miles behind on your work or you aren't.

If it's just a brief period of illness and now you're all caught up and recovered, they should let you sit the exams next week instead. It's vanishingly unlikely that nobody else has ever been ill in the throwing up and unable to do the exams sense over the exam period at the end of year 12, it will be a solved problem.

The worst of all worlds is that they say "never mind dear", let you go into year 13, miles behind, still ill, and unable to attend regularly enough to keep up with new work never mind catch up. You're much better off addressing the issue now.
It’s only a temporary problem, for the start of the year I had really bad attendance from a virus, then I had a full term of nearly 100% attendance, but not in the spring term I’ve had 10 days off in total from acid reflux that is solved now with medication, and I’ve caught up with all the work now apart from a few essays and my recent end of topic tests have been As apart from English which is still a C. I have been revising for these tests and I really wanted to take them so I hope they let me take some next week.
DataVenia
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I assume you didn't care for the advice you received when you posted exactly the same question in the A-levels forum earlier today?

Will the school make me repeat Year 12?
PLEASE HELP - will the school make me repeat year 12?

For readers of this thread, when offering advice be aware of this relevant information:

masilikani
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Inbox for assistance
suky321
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Private schools have high standards that they have to maintain. If you don't put in the effort for whatever reason then they have the right to exclude you from the school. I know someone who was smart and got a full scholarship at a well known private school. But he didn't put in the effort and did badly in his exams. He ended up going the apprenticeship route and now has a really good professional job as an accountant and the company is paying for his education as well while he works. Have hope in the future, all is not lost if you do badly in your exams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads