Disability support at University of Bristol, Edinburgh and Durham

Watch this thread
keikroodle
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

I have hearing loss and was wondering if anyone could give their experiences of the disability services at either of these universities.

I'm applying for modern languages too if anyone has specific knowledge regarding that.

Thanks.
tinbucket
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
Usually I comment on threads like this but I took a break from tsr so apologies for being so late. Durham disability support is pretty brilliant for physical conditions (things get a bit more complicated with mental health).

To summarise Durham disability advisors take on board your DSA recommendations (if you have applied) and compile them plus anything you feel is relevant into what's called a DSN. This is a document pretty much summarising what reasonable adjustments you need and gets distributed to staff in contact with you. Makes it a lot easier to access support, keeps everyone on the same page etc.

The bonuses too of Durham being a collegiate uni is that every college has a dedicated student support team so often if you need a chat you can schedule it in super quickly since there's what 17 college support teams rather than everyone trying to access main disability support services.

Also to add if you're an applicant, you can email the disability support email address on the Durham website and schedule a call with them and they'll explain all this in detail plus anything I've missed (I don't have hearing loss so may be something I have overlooked!). I've met with majority of them in one form or another and you'll be in good hands
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
29.55%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (17)
38.64%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.55%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.55%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.82%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.64%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.27%

Watched Threads