what's the rule for phase differences on a stationary wave? [A-level physics]

Watch this thread
olivier_
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
so if you have a diagram with two points on the same stationary wave, how do you know if they are in phase, out of phase or anti phase?

Am I right in thinking that if they are on the same "half" of the wavelength, then they are in anti phase??
olivier_
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Name:  standingwave.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  55.2 KB
br1ka_m
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by olivier_)
so if you have a diagram with two points on the same stationary wave, how do you know if they are in phase, out of phase or anti phase?

Am I right in thinking that if they are on the same "half" of the wavelength, then they are in anti phase??
if they are both between two nodes, they are in phase. If they are on opposite sides of a node, they will be in antiphase (180 degrees out of phase)

So if they are on the same half of the wavelength, they would be in phase.
olivier_
Rep:
(Original post by br1ka_m)
if they are both between two nodes, they are in phase. If they are on opposite sides of a node, they will be in antiphase (180 degrees out of phase)

So if they are on the same half of the wavelength, they would be in phase.
thanks! So is this now right?

i) Points on the same arc (between the same nodes) --> in phase
ii) Points on opposite arcs (one positive displacement, other negative) --> anti-phase
iii) It doesn't matter where in the arc the points are located, they are always either in phase or anti-phase (i.e. there's no in-between)
br1ka_m
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by olivier_)
thanks! So is this now right?

i) Points on the same arc (between the same nodes) --> in phase
ii) Points on opposite arcs (one positive displacement, other negative) --> anti-phase
iii) It doesn't matter where in the arc the points are located, they are always either in phase or anti-phase (i.e. there's no in-between)
Yep exactly!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads