UCL or Bristol

Watch this thread
DanielG03
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,
I’m trying to work out if it’s worth going to UCL over Bristol for history. For context, I already live in London but wouldn’t want to live at home. Anyway the pros of UCL are that it has a more interesting course with more options and better interdepartmental modules. Also, it has more prestige and is better on the league tables. However, it’s more expensive than Bristol and the Bristol uni experience may be a lot better in terms of social life etc. What should I do? I’m really undecided
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DanielG03)
Hi everyone,
I’m trying to work out if it’s worth going to UCL over Bristol for history. For context, I already live in London but wouldn’t want to live at home. Anyway the pros of UCL are that it has a more interesting course with more options and better interdepartmental modules. Also, it has more prestige and is better on the league tables. However, it’s more expensive than Bristol and the Bristol uni experience may be a lot better in terms of social life etc. What should I do? I’m really undecided
Have you been round and visited the departments? It's tricky, both are excellent universities, and I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between Bristol and UCL in terms of league tables, they change every year and are based on different statistics.
Personally, I would choose the course that I enjoyed more. You will be studying it for 3 years, so you want to be taught by the best department with the options that interest you.
UCL social life is thriving!
DanielG03
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by booklover1313)
Have you been round and visited the departments? It's tricky, both are excellent universities, and I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between Bristol and UCL in terms of league tables, they change every year and are based on different statistics.
Personally, I would choose the course that I enjoyed more. You will be studying it for 3 years, so you want to be taught by the best department with the options that interest you.
UCL social life is thriving!
Very interesting thank you. I haven’t visited Bristol yet but have visited UCL. Do you think that people make the social life out to be a lot worse than it actually is then?
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by DanielG03)
Very interesting thank you. I haven’t visited Bristol yet but have visited UCL. Do you think that people make the social life out to be a lot worse than it actually is then?
It's definitely worth visiting Bristol - ideally at some kind of offer holder's day, but even just walking round the city can give you a good indication of what it would be like. From London, you can take the train or the coach, it's not too far.
Sometimes you visit and just know - either that you love it or that it doesn't suit you.
I think everyone's experience of the social life will be different. It's London, so as you know there will always be stuff going on and things to do. If you want to go out clubbing every night in your first term, you can! If you want to be a bit more low-key, and go round museums etc, then you can! UCL, and London, will be so full of students that you will find people with similar interests.
Living in London is quite different to living in London as a student. It will feel different. Plus you will probably be more central (depending on where you live), so central London is really accessible from UCL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (36)
33.96%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (48)
45.28%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (21)
19.81%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.94%

Watched Threads