The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering vs real estate

I'm a uni student studying engineering but I've been thinking about going into the real estate sector because I've heard mostly good stuff about it. I want to do a job where I can have a good work life balance, make good money cos it is important lol and have opportunities for promotions.
Which is the better option for these criterias?

thanks
How far are you into your Chem Eng? Typically you get 4 years of student finance and for an undergrad real estate you would be looking at starting from the beginning again.

Alternatively - it may make more sense to complete your current degree and then do a one year conversion masters.

If you look for some of the big firms CBRE, JLL, Cushman and Wakefield, Savills etc - you may be able to find a week's shadowing work experience over the summer to try and get a bit more flavour of what's involved in the actual work.
Original post by timleebcu
How far are you into your Chem Eng? Typically you get 4 years of student finance and for an undergrad real estate you would be looking at starting from the beginning again.

Alternatively - it may make more sense to complete your current degree and then do a one year conversion masters.

If you look for some of the big firms CBRE, JLL, Cushman and Wakefield, Savills etc - you may be able to find a week's shadowing work experience over the summer to try and get a bit more flavour of what's involved in the actual work.

Thank you for responding. I've completed my first year now. Also is it compulsory to have a real estate degree to go into the sector. I've heard that an engineering degree is normally enough for many jobs.
If you work for someone who wants to charge you out at higher rates then you'll need to become a chartered surveyor - which requires an RICS accredited degree.

Quick Reply

Latest