Becoming a midwife when you have young kids

Watch this thread
emilymachin17
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hiya, I'm just wondering if anyone has studied Midwifery at Uni whilst also having young kids? I have a 14 month old and I don't know if it would be possible to go to 'normal' university (I am his sole carer during the week as my partner works full time and then I work at the weekends whilst my son is watched by my partner).

I was originally planning to do an online degree for History so that I could go into being a teacher (you just need any degree to do this) but I want to keep my options open and have always wanted to be a midwife so figured if I could get a Midwifery degree, I would also have the option to go into teaching later in life without having to do two separate degrees.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by emilymachin17; 1 month ago
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emilymachin17)
Hiya, I'm just wondering if anyone has studied Midwifery at Uni whilst also having young kids? I have a 14 month old and I don't know if it would be possible to go to 'normal' university (I am his sole carer during the week as my partner works full time and then I work at the weekends whilst my son is watched by my partner).

I was originally planning to do an online degree for History so that I could go into being a teacher (you just need any degree to do this) but I want to keep my options open and have always wanted to be a midwife so figured if I could get a Midwifery degree, I would also have the option to go into teaching later in life without having to do two separate degrees.

Hi there.

Tracey_W or Emily_B may be able to provide some great advice

Best wishes.
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by emilymachin17)

Hi Emily
Providing you have all your child care in place for the next three years while you are doing the midwifing degree then you should be fine with everything. And you'll be hoping to go to a local university as well which can be difficult due to the limited numbers of potential students that each university in the UK take in each year.
You'll need to factor in any unfortunately time of incase your child is severely ill and in hospital as you need to make up any lost time you have of. Plus you only get about 7 weeks holidays a year of and most of them are at the end of each academic term ( Xmas and new year, Easter and end of the academic year plus possiblity of few other weeks in the summer.) As you don't have summer off.

Unfortunately working as a midwife or a nurse involves working unsocial hours and days plus you have nightshifts and weekends as well as dayshift to work. A student midwife or nurse at university will be attending the university building itself Monday to Friday between 9am - 4.30/5pm

When you on placements you'll probably be doing either long hours shift's or split shift patterns depending on what the working hours etc are for the hospital trusts that your University is under.
Long hours shift's are usually 12 - 13 hours doing 3 days out of 7 days a week - you'll have 4 days off.
Split shift patterns might be say - 6am - 2pm / 2pm - 10pm or. 10pm - 6am nightshifts doing 5 days out of 7 days with only 2 days off.

If you are going into teaching eventually then I think it's pointless doing a 3 year midwifing degree to them go and do I think another 5 years at university for to be a teacher as don't take this to heart ok midwifing is full hand on and it's very hard degree to do.
You actually need to make up your mind from the start and concentrate on that particular career path.

You'll need to make sure that you have all the necessary entry requirements for to do the midwifing degree as you need math's and English and biology but some universities only requires a science subject.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

Tracey_W or Emily_B may be able to provide some great advice

Best wishes.
Hi

Thanks for the quote for this ☺️☺️☺️
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Hi

Thanks for the quote for this ☺️☺️☺️
Hi

No problem - great and honest advice once again!
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi

No problem - great and honest advice once again!
No worries 😌

Try to be as truthful as possible can be. No point in only saying half stuff'...
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tracey_W)
No worries 😌

Try to be as truthful as possible can be. No point in only saying half stuff'...
PRSOM.
Last edited by TriplexA; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads