Accommodation deposit before results day

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I couldn't find an accommodation-specific thread, so hope it's okay to post here.

Hi all.
I'm living off campus first year in private / non student affiliated accom. I found a really nice one bedroom flat, only 15 mins from uni visited it with my parents, all good. Landlord is lovely, and their current tennant moves out in August - perfect. I'll be moving in around August 12-15 time. However, my offer is conditional, and I'm a bit nervous about moving before results day, as I'll have wasted money.

My offer is a contextual ABB for Durham Uni. I'm predicted AAA, and in my last mocks (March) I got A*AA. I do three essay subjects, and all of my essays I've done since around February have been As or A*s. I had coursework in EngLit and History - I got 45 / 50 and 35 / 40 respectively. Nothing is known for sure, but my teachers believe they're both A*s. I'm confident that I'll get the grades and so are my teachers. My friends and parents all think it's a solid bet, too.

If I don't get the grades, I won't be going to uni this year. I know I can do better, and I'd take a year off to resit + work 15-20 hours a week, with some volunteering to build up my PS. So I won't have the issue of not having accom elsewhere.

I know this is completely up to me, obviously, but I just thought some outside opinions / advice would be useful. Thanks !
Durham Students
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I couldn't find an accommodation-specific thread, so hope it's okay to post here.

Hi all.
I'm living off campus first year in private / non student affiliated accom. I found a really nice one bedroom flat, only 15 mins from uni visited it with my parents, all good. Landlord is lovely, and their current tennant moves out in August - perfect. I'll be moving in around August 12-15 time. However, my offer is conditional, and I'm a bit nervous about moving before results day, as I'll have wasted money.

My offer is a contextual ABB for Durham Uni. I'm predicted AAA, and in my last mocks (March) I got A*AA. I do three essay subjects, and all of my essays I've done since around February have been As or A*s. I had coursework in EngLit and History - I got 45 / 50 and 35 / 40 respectively. Nothing is known for sure, but my teachers believe they're both A*s. I'm confident that I'll get the grades and so are my teachers. My friends and parents all think it's a solid bet, too.

If I don't get the grades, I won't be going to uni this year. I know I can do better, and I'd take a year off to resit + work 15-20 hours a week, with some volunteering to build up my PS. So I won't have the issue of not having accom elsewhere.

I know this is completely up to me, obviously, but I just thought some outside opinions / advice would be useful. Thanks !
Hi there

I'm sure if it's a private landlord then they'd be willing to negotiate the move-in date? Results day is not too far from when you're planning to move in so it's better if you can convince them to begin the tenancy a week or two later. They should understand that there is obviously no way you could move to Durham if you don't get into the university, so ask them if they're willing to refund the deposit or deduct a small fee from it and refund the rest.

If the landlord is not willing to do this, I'm sure you can find some other place which can accommodate your needs. You can always text me privately and I will help you find one since I've been through this process myself in first year

In any case, make sure to get the contract cross-checked on the SU website: https://www.durhamsu.com/advice-and-...tract-checking

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Durham Students)
Hi there

I'm sure if it's a private landlord then they'd be willing to negotiate the move-in date? Results day is not too far from when you're planning to move in so it's better if you can convince them to begin the tenancy a week or two later. They should understand that there is obviously no way you could move to Durham if you don't get into the university, so ask them if they're willing to refund the deposit or deduct a small fee from it and refund the rest.

If the landlord is not willing to do this, I'm sure you can find some other place which can accommodate your needs. You can always text me privately and I will help you find one since I've been through this process myself in first year

In any case, make sure to get the contract cross-checked on the SU website: https://www.durhamsu.com/advice-and-...tract-checking

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Thank you ! This is so helpful I'll definitely see if I can negotiate to move in on the 19th. And thank you, if I have any issued I'll get in touch ! That's really nice of you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (25)
27.78%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
34.44%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.89%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.33%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.56%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.44%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (3)
3.33%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.22%

Watched Threads