Best unis for marketing undergraduate

Watch this thread
R4V
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’ve applied to uni this year for business management with marketing however I feel that I will be better off with just a marketing course as that’s really what I’m interested in. I want to go into marketing/consulting. I also have run into the issue that I don’t like any of the unis I applied to so I’m basically just going to take a gap year and apply next year.

I do A levels in Business, Media and Photography which is why I love marketing so much. My subjects go hand in hand for the role! I’m predicted ABB and because of my circumstances I can get into pretty much any uni with contextual offers.

Problem I’m finding is I can’t seem to find the best unis for marketing. I want to do a placement year but I’m also open to the idea of doing a business management & marketing course. Or marketing & management course if the unis are better ranking.

Any ideas on some good unis in the uk (undergrad) for marketing? Let me know thanks!
__Unknown
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by R4V)
So I’ve applied to uni this year for business management with marketing however I feel that I will be better off with just a marketing course as that’s really what I’m interested in. I want to go into marketing/consulting. I also have run into the issue that I don’t like any of the unis I applied to so I’m basically just going to take a gap year and apply next year.

I do A levels in Business, Media and Photography which is why I love marketing so much. My subjects go hand in hand for the role! I’m predicted ABB and because of my circumstances I can get into pretty much any uni with contextual offers.

Problem I’m finding is I can’t seem to find the best unis for marketing. I want to do a placement year but I’m also open to the idea of doing a business management & marketing course. Or marketing & management course if the unis are better ranking.

Any ideas on some good unis in the uk (undergrad) for marketing? Let me know thanks!
I’m surprised, our situations are actually quite similar. I’m in Year 12 at the moment and study Business, Media, Financial studies and Turkish hoping to study Management and Marketing with a placement next year. May i ask where you’ve applied?
R4V
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by __Unknown)
I’m surprised, our situations are actually quite similar. I’m in Year 12 at the moment and study Business, Media, Financial studies and Turkish hoping to study Management and Marketing with a placement next year. May i ask where you’ve applied?
Hahah small world! I’m year 13 at the moment. I was looking at management and marketing too but I really can’t seem to pick between them all so I’m just gonna leave it till after exams or just reapply next year. Placement years are definitely going to be the best bit! I applied at Brunel university london and Greenwich as my insurance. However both these I don’t want to go to. I was basically forced to choose these because of my dad who doesn’t believe in anything but being educated in london (he was) and because his best friends kids went to Brunel he thinks it’s super amazing but in reality it’s like 100th on the league table and unless your doing sport or engineering it’s pretty much awful for everything else.

What about you where are you thinking. At the moment I’m looking at RG unis I can get into as my gcse maths grade of a 5 limits a lot of options. But so far bath, Southampton, Exeter look promising. Need to explore further tho
__Unknown
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by R4V)
Hahah small world! I’m year 13 at the moment. I was looking at management and marketing too but I really can’t seem to pick between them all so I’m just gonna leave it till after exams or just reapply next year. Placement years are definitely going to be the best bit! I applied at Brunel university london and Greenwich as my insurance. However both these I don’t want to go to. I was basically forced to choose these because of my dad who doesn’t believe in anything but being educated in london (he was) and because his best friends kids went to Brunel he thinks it’s super amazing but in reality it’s like 100th on the league table and unless your doing sport or engineering it’s pretty much awful for everything else.

What about you where are you thinking. At the moment I’m looking at RG unis I can get into as my gcse maths grade of a 5 limits a lot of options. But so far bath, Southampton, Exeter look promising. Need to explore further tho
Our situation cannot get any similar, my 5 in maths has also limited the universities I can apply to. Many RG and top unis want a 6 in Math, Warwick and Birmingham want a 7. The only RG’S that accept a 5 are Exeter, Leeds, York and Queen Mary from all I know. I’ve emailed Manchester and they said hence I study Finance they can count that in line of the 6 in Math they ask for.

When looking at universities to study business i look at whether they’re triple accredited not many are but there is a few such as Birmingham, Manchester, Aston, Kent, Reading, Durham, Leeds, Exeter.

Right now I know for sure I’d like to apply to the University of Manchester, Queen Mary and KCL. KCL also ask for a 6 but i emailed them and they responded saying ‘ Please be informed that our Admissions Team will have the final say when it comes to entry requirements.

Please note that each application is assessed on an individual basis and the Admissions team will consider all areas of your application including previous study, references, your personal statement, etc.

I encourage you to apply but cannot advise on your eligibility until a full application has been made.’

Other strong candidates to fill my 5 choices are Royal Holloway, Kent and Aston.
Last edited by __Unknown; 4 weeks ago
R4V
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by __Unknown)
Our situation cannot get any similar, my 5 in maths has also limited the universities I want to apply to. Many RG and top unis want a 6 in Math, Warwick and Birmingham want a 7. The only RG’S that accept a 5 are Exeter, Leeds, York and Queen Mary from all I know. I’ve emailed Manchester and they said hence I study Finance they can count that in line of the 6 in Math they ask for.

When looking at universities to study business i look at whether they’re triple accredited not many are but there is a few such as Birmingham, Manchester, Aston, Kent, Reading, Durham, Leeds, Exeter.

Right now I know for sure I’d like to apply to the University of Manchester, Queen Mary and KCL. KCL also ask for a 6 but i emailed them and they responded saying ‘ Please be informed that our Admissions Team will have the final say when it comes to entry requirements.

Please note that each application is assessed on an individual basis and the Admissions team will consider all areas of your application including previous study, references, your personal statement, etc.

I encourage you to apply but cannot advise on your eligibility until a full application has been made.’

Other strong candidates to fill my 5 choices are Royal Holloway, Kent and Aston.
Wow we are really similar hahaha. I never knew that they would even consider me. I’ll do that now because I now my options aren’t as limited as I thought. Although I don’t study finance I have had experience in financial management having worked for one of the big 4 financial institutions for a months internship. Whether that would actually count to anything I’m not sure. Leeds was my top choice but they require AAA and unfortunately I think think I’ll get in with that. Southampton looks strong for marketing as does bath being the best for it.

I’m mainly looking to go to RG unis as their location tends to be within major city’s (comes with the benefit of lots to do, great nightlife, diversity E.c). I think once I have a list of RG unis I can get into I’ll start exploring other unis which are perhaps lower ranking but still good e.g reading, Leicester. Then probably narrow further down with course Modules.

The problem I’m facing is I want to go into consulting and Leicester which is still a top 30/top 50 uni offers a consulting modules whereas other unis higher up or with triple accreditation don’t. So I’m a little unsure on what to prioritise.
R4V
Rep:
Also would it be possible to get an overview of your grades? I just had a look at kings and they don’t offer marketing only business management. Seems like they want a 6 to.

I was thinking considering we have very similar circumstances E.c and we both want to study marketing we could help eachother out? Let me know what you think. Feel free to PM if you rather do it that way.
__Unknown
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by R4V)
Also would it be possible to get an overview of your grades? I just had a look at kings and they don’t offer marketing only business management. Seems like they want a 6 to.

I was thinking considering we have very similar circumstances E.c and we both want to study marketing we could help eachother out? Let me know what you think. Feel free to PM if you rather do it that way.
Check pm
University of Bath
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by R4V)

Hello,

I am a final year Business student at the University of Bath. I would recommend you take a look at the Management with Marketing course we have to offer at Bath! It sounds like it will really suit what you are looking to study.

The University of Bath also offers placement years (a year spent working in industry as part of your degree) so this would give you the best opportunity to get some experience in marketing or consulting that you can put on your CV and talk about when it comes to getting a graduate job after university- employers really value this real world experience we get on placement. I did my placement in a Marketing role at a global confectionery manufacturer and it was really great experience and I learnt a lot about what I liked or maybe didn't like about marketing.

I have loved my time at the University of Bath, and living in Bath as a city, because it has so much to offer. It is a beautiful city with lots of sights to see, loads of restaurants and bars etc. Then the University has given me the opportunity to join loads of different societies and sports teams which are a great way to meet friends and try something new when you first get to university. There is even a Management society that I joined which was a great way to meet other people on similar courses and exchange any advice!

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask anymore questions you might have about the School of Management at Bath or about Bath/the university in general.

Best of luck,
Kayley
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by R4V)

Hi R4V,

I currently study business management at the university of Southampton, although have many friends on the marketing degree programme within Southampton Business School.

Firstly, I would personally tend to agree with you, if you are looking into going in a marketing field, you are better off with a marketing degree as opposed to a more varied business management degree.

As I'm sure you've read Southampton ranks very highly in the marketing league tables - however to help try and provide a more personal insight, Southampton from my experience has a growing business school. Where there is a genuine sense of care from the lecturing staff, who want you to engage with their course and learn as much as possible, helping you achieve the highest possible mark on your assignments. - perhaps contrary to popular belief about uni's they want you to succeed and enjoy it, after all you're the one paying for it!

Outside of the studies, Southampton offers basically every society or sports club you could think of, I joined Scuba Diving and Tennis. Both have a mixture of abilities and competition levels to cater for everyone. The university itself has karaoke in it's onsite pub, it's own bar, cinema, different market stalls everyday of the week, and more. The city has basically all the nightlife you could think of in terms of shops, pubs, restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.

I hope this has helped broaden your knowledge, if you have any further questions I'd be happy to answer them below about Marketing, Southampton Business School, or the University of Southampton.

Good luck with your A-Levels!

All the best!

James
(Uni of Southampton Rep )
R4V
Rep:
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi R4V,

I currently study business management at the university of Southampton, although have many friends on the marketing degree programme within Southampton Business School.

Firstly, I would personally tend to agree with you, if you are looking into going in a marketing field, you are better off with a marketing degree as opposed to a more varied business management degree.

As I'm sure you've read Southampton ranks very highly in the marketing league tables - however to help try and provide a more personal insight, Southampton from my experience has a growing business school. Where there is a genuine sense of care from the lecturing staff, who want you to engage with their course and learn as much as possible, helping you achieve the highest possible mark on your assignments. - perhaps contrary to popular belief about uni's they want you to succeed and enjoy it, after all you're the one paying for it!

Outside of the studies, Southampton offers basically every society or sports club you could think of, I joined Scuba Diving and Tennis. Both have a mixture of abilities and competition levels to cater for everyone. The university itself has karaoke in it's onsite pub, it's own bar, cinema, different market stalls everyday of the week, and more. The city has basically all the nightlife you could think of in terms of shops, pubs, restaurants, bars, clubs, etc.

I hope this has helped broaden your knowledge, if you have any further questions I'd be happy to answer them below about Marketing, Southampton Business School, or the University of Southampton.

Good luck with your A-Levels!

All the best!

James
(Uni of Southampton Rep )
Thanks James!
HWU StudentRep 1
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by R4V)

Hi! Heriot-Watt have lots of different courses available, taught from our Edinburgh Business School, which is ranked 1st in Scotland and 4th in the UK for marketing in the NSS 2020. Our courses and info about the school itself are available through this link https://www.hw.ac.uk/ebs/study/undergraduate.htm

More specifically, we have a MA (hons) undergraduate marketing course here at Heriot-Watt, you're welcome to explore more about the course here https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/study/underg.../marketing.htm

About the university itself, if you were interested in studying in Scotland, it is a campus university based outside the city centre (30 mins away) and has lots available on campus including our sports facility, Oriam, which offers student membership and is a 5 minute walk from accommodation on campus. Although outside the city centre, it has a fantastic community feel, a fantastic student union and societies, including a business and marketing society, and is a beautiful campus.

I hope this helps! If you have any questions I'm more than happy to answer them

-Claire
Last edited by HWU StudentRep 1; 4 weeks ago
Pearson Business School Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by R4V)

Hello there,

I'm from Pearson College London. I am studying business management with marketing and I understand your excitement about the course. Indeed, with your A levels, marketing is a fantastic role to get into.

You can check out our higher institution here: https://www.pearsoncollegelondon.ac....ss-school.html
And our course: https://www.pearsoncollegelondon.ac....marketing.html

A little about my course...
It is a business management course and so all students will be doing business management modules for the first year which involves understanding the principles. The 2nd and 3rd years are when we stick to our pathways which can be marketing or entrepreneurship. This module information is all on our website.

Why Pearson Business School?
- It is in the top 20 institutions for graduate employability.
- Located in Holborn, city centre
- We were recently awarded the Small Business Charter for supporting small businesses.
- Our internship team is like no other! (I just finished 2nd year and I am working on 3 internships so far!)
- We are part of the FTSE 100 company.
- We have outstanding industry partnerships.
- Student Life?
Our institution may be on the smaller side compared to the big names out there but that doesn't mean the fun is any less than theirs. Our location gives us all the more advantage to grab the finest food before our lecture and go to a cocktail cafe after lectures...
Why not check out our students' blogs: https://blog.pearsoncollegelondon.ac.uk/
Or chat with us: https://www.pearsoncollegelondon.ac....-students.html

My experience has been like no other and I can say the same for my fellow students as well. I have learnt a lot and developed myself and I assure you that our higher institution does its best to help out our students from kick-starting your own business to helping you get that graduate role!

If you are worried about your grades. I would just like to leave this information down below if you would like to learn more.
"Applicants are expected to have GCSE English and Maths at grade C or equivalent. If you don't have these, please contact the Admissions Team by emailing [email protected] or calling +44 (0)207 190 4013 and we'll be happy to discuss your options with you."

I wish you all the best with your decision!
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi all

It would well be worth you looking at Hull's courses, they offer many different variations like a year abroad or a placement year. https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergr...keting-ba-hons and https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergr...keting-ba-hons .

If you are looking for somewhere that is a campus university and relatively cheap, the courses are accredited by the AACSB and our Business school has an excellent reputation. Everything is on the one campus, so nothing is further than 5 or 6 minutes walk from the accommodation! If you want to speak to one of of our student ambassadors, Fatima studies Marketing Management at MsC level and will love to talk to you about the School and courses I am sure https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student .

Have a look at the website and look at the typical modules we offer, you may well be pleasantly surprised!

Good luck

Chris
University of Hull Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (7)
41.18%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
23.53%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.76%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
17.65%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads