The Student Room Group

AS level ocr a biology 2022

hi has anyone sat the ocr AS level biology paper 1 which was sat today (may 20), if so was the required practical info correct and the advanced info how useful was it?????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helooooooojrru
hi has anyone sat the ocr AS level biology paper 1 which was sat today (may 20), if so was the required practical info correct and the advanced info how useful was it?????

Hi, it wasn’t that useful tbh the first topic on the list had the least amount of marks and there was like 6marks on microscopy which wasn’t even on the advanced info. But most the topics were the advanced info I would say about 80% Also there was no practical skills on the advanced info for paper 1
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
A lot harder compared to previous past papers needed a lot of application more than knowledge in my opiniom
Original post by 16Stars
Hi, it wasn’t that useful tbh the first topic on the list had the least amount of marks and there was like 6marks on microscopy which wasn’t even on the advanced info. But most the topics were the advanced info I would say about 80% Also there was no practical skills on the advanced info for paper 1

How did you find the paper in terms of difficulty
Original post by maariah2510
How did you find the paper in terms of difficulty

It was difficult. Like I came out of the exam shocked because the questions were just so weird and hard I’m sure the grade boundaries for this exam is gonna go down. More people were stressed after this exam than the chemistry one. And as that other person said you needed more application than knowledge like you had to think really hard to come up with an answer for most of the questions.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 16Stars
It was difficult. Like I came out of the exam shocked because the questions were just so weird and hard I’m sure the grade boundaries for this exam is gonna go down. More people were stressed after this exam than the chemistry one. And as that other person said you needed more application than knowledge like you had to think really hard to come up with an answer for most of the questions.

:frown:
Original post by 16Stars

Same here it was really hard! Especially the question with the sucrose solution and membrane. I was expecting more biological molecules questions…. Like comparing a fibrous and globular protein or something a bit easier 😭. This was a lot harder than all the other past papers for biology AS
Same here it was really hard! Especially the question with the sucrose solution and membrane. I was expecting more biological molecules questions…. Like comparing a fibrous and globular protein or something a bit easier 😭. This was a lot harder than all the other past papers for biology AS

100% I feel like if they gave us an exam with a similar structure to the other ones we would’ve been fine. The questions were horrendous 😭😭
:s-smilie: okay now i’m terrified as an A level ocr student
Original post by aliaa03
:s-smilie: okay now i’m terrified as an A level ocr student

You should be fine tbh if you’ve revised everything then I’m sure you’ll be fine. I have a really smart friend who also said it was really hard but she said she thought about the questions very well and it was doable. I hadn’t revised much so it was even harder but if you’re prepared and can hack tricky questions then you should be fine hopefully
Original post by 16Stars
100% I feel like if they gave us an exam with a similar structure to the other ones we would’ve been fine. The questions were horrendous 😭😭

which microscope did u put at the end.... i said transmission electron because you could see all the small structures that were subcellular. i think it was a light microscope
which microscope did u put at the end.... i said transmission electron because you could see all the small structures that were subcellular. i think it was a light microscope

I forget what the picture looked like, but I put light microscope. I think my reason was that you couldn't see the organelles inside the cells.

Tbh, I was really flustered during the whole thing so I am prob wrong.
Original post by helooooooojrru

Heya! Well done for finishing it! Biology can be quite hard, I remember struggling when dong my exams but with the right revision technique and external resources I managed to do it! If it helps, I would recommend checking out these free resources for the future when you'll have to prepare for another biology exam!
Hope this helps!
Milena G.
Study Mind
Reply 13
Original post by jonny1985_2
I forget what the picture looked like, but I put light microscope. I think my reason was that you couldn't see the organelles inside the cells.

Tbh, I was really flustered during the whole thing so I am prob wrong.

Wasn’t the picture black and white so how could it be light as I’m sure light shows colour?
Original post by S13
Wasn’t the picture black and white so how could it be light as I’m sure light shows colour?

It could have been stained to show contrast, but just printed in black and white? Unless there was colour elsewhere in the paper? I sat my paper privately and I think they printed it themselves.

To be honest, I'm not confident about standing by my answer on any of the questions.
Original post by jonny1985_2
It could have been stained to show contrast, but just printed in black and white? Unless there was colour elsewhere in the paper? I sat my paper privately and I think they printed it themselves.

To be honest, I'm not confident about standing by my answer on any of the questions.

the picture was generally black and white - it didn't have color for anyone i don't think

I put tem as well and put the same reason for it but I’m not sure. Well if it makes you feel better my friend put just electron Microscope 😭😭
Original post by Medic Mind
Heya! Well done for finishing it! Biology can be quite hard, I remember struggling when dong my exams but with the right revision technique and external resources I managed to do it! If it helps, I would recommend checking out these free resources for the future when you'll have to prepare for another biology exam!
Hope this helps!
Milena G.
Study Mind

Will do, thanks!
Original post by 16Stars
I put tem as well and put the same reason for it but I’m not sure. Well if it makes you feel better my friend put just electron Microscope 😭😭

I went to college today and everyone is saying that TikTok says it was TEM. Well, I didn't know that there was a question asking to label the meristem tissue.... totally missed it. always have that habit
I went to college today and everyone is saying that TikTok says it was TEM. Well, I didn't know that there was a question asking to label the meristem tissue.... totally missed it. always have that habit

Bahah I read that but I had no clue where it was. Glad I secured one mark 😭

Quick Reply

Latest