Moaning about University

Watch this thread
UnHpyArrangement
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Been in uni for a year now, Finished all my projects on time handed in my portfolio on Monday and signed off, got decent grades in Semester 1 and hoping for the same in Sem 2, but I am frustrated that peers in my class are lazy, unmotivated, don't hand anything in on time, One girl has just been granted a 6 week extension because she's done no work in classes for over a month, hasn't done her essays and hasn't bothered to work at home (she sits next to me and often distracts me all day telling me about all the places she's been going to with her boyfriend and family)... She was told she could just hand her work in and it was good enough to earn her a pass with a high 40 and she refused saying she wants to get better grades. Am I a **** for thinking that's a bit unfair? The extensions are supposed to be for helping those who've had real life issues not for people who couldn't be arsed, This just feels like she's got 6 weeks to improve all her work so she can grade grub meanwhile the rest of us have to just hand in and make do no matter how comfortable we were with our work AND she has the benefit of seeing all our work being created for the last few weeks because its a Graphics course. I just think its a total farce, If I'd been able to get 6 weeks extra to finish my work it'd be a distinction level easily
Noble.x
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Mmm well perhaps she does have real life issues? Are you on your first year?
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Lol this is just how uni is. Get over yourself.
UnHpyArrangement
Rep:
(Original post by Noble.x)
Mmm well perhaps she does have real life issues? Are you on your first year?
Yeah first year, we hang out most of the time so I know she's not had anything else going on, she's just not been doing the work and now she's got to the end of the year, got into a flap and then asked the course leader for the extension and lied on the forms to get it and now has 6 weeks extra to finish 2 essays and 2 projects (which as I said before were already passable with 40's as stated by the tutor)

(Original post by vicvic38)
Lol this is just how uni is. Get over yourself.
This isn't how it is though, Extenuating circumstances should only apply when people need them. Not for bailing lazy people out of trouble so they can get better grades instead of just being an extension to pass. I wouldn't be bothered if she was told you can have it but the best you can achieve is a 40, At the end of the course we'll all be vying for the same jobs at the end in a very competative market. and people like you who perpetuate that its "just the way it is" is exactly why its so frustrating.
ROTL94 2
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Have you considered minding your business and focussing on your own work?
UnHpyArrangement
Rep:
(Original post by ROTL94 2)
Have you considered minding your business and focussing on your own work?
Again, I am ****ed off that she's manipulating the system to get extra time to do work soley to boost her grades, I HAVE focused on my work, that's why I handed in on deadline day. Why should she get extra time to bring it up to get a better grade. We've all been in the same classes
vicvic38
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by UnHpyArrangement)
This isn't how it is though, Extenuating circumstances should only apply when people need them. Not for bailing lazy people out of trouble so they can get better grades instead of just being an extension to pass. I wouldn't be bothered if she was told you can have it but the best you can achieve is a 40, At the end of the course we'll all be vying for the same jobs at the end in a very competative market. and people like you who perpetuate that its "just the way it is" is exactly why its so frustrating.
What do you mean it isn't how it is, it literally is. Like why are you so pressed?
CreamOfYourCrop
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Been in uni for a year now, Finished all my projects on time handed in my portfolio on Monday and signed off, got decent grades in Semester 1 and hoping for the same in Sem 2, but I am frustrated that peers in my class are lazy, unmotivated, don't hand anything in on time, One girl has just been granted a 6 week extension because she's done no work in classes for over a month, hasn't done her essays and hasn't bothered to work at home (she sits next to me and often distracts me all day telling me about all the places she's been going to with her boyfriend and family)... She was told she could just hand her work in and it was good enough to earn her a pass with a high 40 and she refused saying she wants to get better grades. Am I a **** for thinking that's a bit unfair? The extensions are supposed to be for helping those who've had real life issues not for people who couldn't be arsed, This just feels like she's got 6 weeks to improve all her work so she can grade grub meanwhile the rest of us have to just hand in and make do no matter how comfortable we were with our work AND she has the benefit of seeing all our work being created for the last few weeks because its a Graphics course. I just think its a total farce, If I'd been able to get 6 weeks extra to finish my work it'd be a distinction level easily
I remember during the first lockdown , my uni was handing out extensions on essays like it was confetti. This despite the fact you had literally nowhere to go , everybody was stuck at home !
Noble.x
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
She did lie. It’s not like they just gave it to her
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads