The Student Room Group

a level + EPQ decision

im choosing between two sixth forms. one allows me to do 4 a levels, whilst the other allows 3 a levels plus EPQ. if i went to the first sixth form i would study law, english lit, psychology and drama. if i went to the second i would study english lit, psychology and history, as they dont do drama or law. i intend to go to university to study law after sixth form but ive been told it isnt essential to have it as an a level to do it. which sixth form should i go to? is an epq recognised? are these a levels appropriate for law?
Both have appropriate A-levels for law - usually one or two humanities subjects are recommended but other than that there are no specific requirements.

I would not recommend doing 4 A levels - 3 and an EPQ is alright but 4 is too much (remember - AAA is always better than ABBB).

Do not just do history if you don't actually like it, you will literally hate your life (speaking from experience).
Reply 2
which sixth form should i go to? is an epq recognised? are these a levels appropriate for law?

To answer your question it would all have to be up to you! But I am taking 3 A levels plus an EPQ and found when applying to top uni’s the EPQ grade I received (A*) didn’t give me any advantage. But personally I would take that over 4 A levels any day :smile: I too wish to go into law and any subject combo should work as long as you take two essay based subjects. But what I would 100% recommended is taking subjects that you love rather than what you think will look good to a Uni trust me you will do so much better!!
I did 3 A levels and an EPQ while a lot of my friends did 4 A levels
Although all of these friends did better than me at GCSE, because they had a whole extra subject to focus on, their results at A level were a lot lower
I found researching my own chosen topic more interesting than I think another subject would be and I have been able to use my EPQ as inspiration for essays at university so would recommend EPQ over a fourth A level

Quick Reply

Latest