I’m 23 and my family still talk to me and see me as a child , what can I do about it?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It’s so ****ing condescending, my family talk about me and to me like I’m a child and i hate it. They don’t ‘adult talk with me’ don’t listen to me when I try to contribute to conversation, baby talk with me like call me dumb **** like baby peanut or whatever tf like awhhh little (insert my name here) patronise my intelligence. It angers me so much, and it’s even worse when I look younger and I struggle to communicate coherently sometimes because I have partial catatonic depression which slowers my speech- but I still see the world as a 23 year old but they look at me like I’m mentally stunted. I feel extremely stunted by them and it’s made it difficult for me to have confidence around other people- it makes me ****ing resent my family a lot. I don’t know what to do to change this other than cut my self off from them, I don’t know how to talk to them to convince them to change this, and I just want to avoid conflict because of my depression.
zakramsey
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Do you live with your family, or do you have a place of your own?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by zakramsey)
Do you live with your family, or do you have a place of your own?
I live at home still
zakramsey
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Do you have any idea as to when you'll move out?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by zakramsey)
Do you have any idea as to when you'll move out?
Lol moving in this economy any time soon?
Meduse
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi there. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

The fact you made this post implies you have way more emotional intelligence than your family appear to. I suspect they are either narcissists or bitter living their own lives and thus feel the need to use you as their punching bag. You don't deserve that.

You say your family is the root cause of you feeling unconfident around others; this is to be expected. If your own family demeans you, and paints you to be unintelligent and incapable, no wonder you are feeling this way. You're merely internalising the external. I suspect this causes you a mixture of stress, anger, followed by depression.

This is a tough situation given you still live at home and seem to be doubtful of your ability to move out in the near future.

Have you spoken to anyone about this, such as a GP/friend or a non-patronising relative? If not, and you are able to, I'd strongly advise it.

I'm going to be honest, I suspect you may need some sort of therapy after you leave this kind of environment. It's essentially emotional torment on behalf of your family. Emotional torment on its own is difficult enough to come to terms with, let alone when the perpetrators are your own family. You don't have to go ahead with any therapy if you don't want, of course, I just think it may be beneficial.

If you have any questions or want to vent, feel free to send me a PM. I can try to offer some more advice.
Imperviousness
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
'Baby peanut' was pretty funny.
zakramsey
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Lol moving in this economy any time soon?
Would it be that much of a struggle to get a full time job and a small flat at least? That toxic environment isn't going to make you any better
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (63)
27.51%
As I expected (71)
31%
Harder (87)
37.99%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.49%

Watched Threads