resonance question

Watch this thread
anonymouss2004
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I understand which answer A is correct, but can someone explained to me why B is wrong? I thought at resonance the path difference between driver and driven is pi. And also for C, is it that density of object does not affect how much it is damped?

Which one of the following statements concerning forced vibrations and resonance is
correct?
A An oscillating body that is not resonating will return to its natural frequency when the
forcing vibration is removed.
B At resonance, the displacement of the oscillating body is 180° out of phase with the forcing
vibration.
C A pendulum with a dense bob is more heavily damped than one with a less dense bob of the
same size.
D Resonance can only occur in mechanical systems
Ethanity007
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
At resonance, the driving force should be in phase with the driven system ie 0, 360…
180=> antiphase

For the same shape, it is harder to damp off the oscillation of a bigger mass (higher inertia).
anonymouss2004
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Ethanity007)
At resonance, the driving force should be in phase with the driven system ie 0, 360…
180=> antiphase

For the same shape, it is harder to damp off the oscillation of a bigger mass (higher inertia).
I see. Thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (17)
27.87%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (31)
50.82%
First aid skills (3)
4.92%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.64%
Sign language (8)
13.11%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.64%

Watched Threads