Physics Eduqas question

Watch this thread
stevie67890
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, I'm revising for my physics exam on Thursday and I came across this question:

Activity=3.3x10^-6 Bq
Number of nuclei=2.88x10^21
mass=1 gram
half life = 1.9x10^19 years

Determine the number of nuclei in 1 gram of Bi (atomic number 83, mass number 209) which will decay in 5 years

In the mark scheme it says 3.3x10^-6x5x365x24x60x60=525

I get this is Activity x time, but I don't understand how this gives the number of nuclei after 5 years?
I initially tried N=N0 e^-(decay constant x time), but when I plugged the values in it was just 0?

Any help is appreciated thank you!
Last edited by stevie67890; 1 month ago
Trident_
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Feel like you just misread the question
Activity is the number of decays per second so - (the number of seconds in 5 years) * Activity = n. of nuclei which decay
3.3x10^-6 Bq * 5x365x24x60x60 (the number of seconds in 5 years) = 525 like the mark scheme says?

It's not asking for the number of nuclei remaining, it's asking simply how many will decay. Let's say you do want to know how many remain you would just take the original number of nuclei and subtract the 525 we just calculated, this is pointless though in a sense as it's a pretty negligible amount of nuclei that have decayed and I doubt they're gonna say give your answer to 21 sig figs etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.96%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.68%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.38%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
13.98%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads