Uni students, how do you balance working and revision?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m going to uni in September full time. I currently work full time and acknowledge that I won’t be able to work most days if the week while I’m at uni. How do other people do this?

I know so many people are doing the same thing, you have to find a way to earn money while you study. I do feel a bit dense asking but I’ve never really been in this position before.

I mean I know most of you would be working on weekends but then how do you find time to catch up and revise outside of uni hours?

The thought of all this is really stressing me out. I also have a cat to come home too and I’m already feeling really bad for not being with him while I’m at uni but I trust my mum to look after him while I’m out.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Just approach your uni studies as a 9-5 job, and make a point of getting up and going to campus for 9 and staying until 5, and when you aren't in a lecture, working on your assignments, doing your wider reading etc. A lot of people mostly just go into lectures and then do work "on the spot" when assignments are due, tests and exams are coming up etc, which is why they "overload" themselves time-wise during those periods - but this is balanced by a lot of the "quieter" periods of term being spent less productively. If you just focus on averaging the workload across the whole term in that way, it should help balance against things outside of uni - also anecdotally those I knew who did take that approach tended on the whole to get better results (I'm not saying you have to do that to get a first, but basically all the people I know who did get firsts consistently had that approach...).
University of Suffolk student
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I’m going to uni in September full time. I currently work full time and acknowledge that I won’t be able to work most days if the week while I’m at uni. How do other people do this?

I know so many people are doing the same thing, you have to find a way to earn money while you study. I do feel a bit dense asking but I’ve never really been in this position before.

I mean I know most of you would be working on weekends but then how do you find time to catch up and revise outside of uni hours?

The thought of all this is really stressing me out. I also have a cat to come home too and I’m already feeling really bad for not being with him while I’m at uni but I trust my mum to look after him while I’m out.
Hi Anonymous! I know that a lot of people feel the same when they first start university and honestly, it takes a little while to get into a routine. It's worth contacting your university to find out which days you'd be at the university as some courses will have you there for 4 days a week and some 2 days a week. However, your lectures might not be on the same day each week so that's definitely something to consider! Most universities will have Wednesdays off and they all have weekends off (I believe) so they're definitely your best bet for working.
As the artful_lounger mentioned, setting aside an hour or two after lectures have finished is one of the best things to do as you can finish your notes, consolidate your learning and keep on top of the work this way. However, if you work better in chunks, then if you've got a "free" day from university that you're not working, you can go through your notes and work on assignments, although do remember to take breaks and find some time for yourself or you'll soon get burnt out.

I hope this helps and I'm sure you'll soon find a routine that works best for you!

Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago

Hello!
What job r u doing now?
You could do things like tuitions bcoz they r like 1 or 2 hours in a week[depends on how many classes you want to teach] so you have more time for revision for uni and stuff.
Hope that helps
Good Luck
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello!
What job r u doing now?
You could do things like tuitions bcoz they r like 1 or 2 hours in a week[depends on how many classes you want to teach] so you have more time for revision for uni and stuff.
Hope that helps
Good Luck
Hello! I’m currently doing admin work for my family business. I plan on leaving that next month but still working at home doing similar work, that is until September.

Tuition sounds good, only thing is I know to stand out you have to have very good grades. I remember looking for a tutor on sites like Tutor Hunt and this other one, the majority of tutors either had a lot of background experience in teaching or were straight A students. None of that applies to me.

I guess I could ask my new employer, when I find that job, if I could work weekends when the time comes.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by University of Suffolk student)
Hi Anonymous! I know that a lot of people feel the same when they first start university and honestly, it takes a little while to get into a routine. It's worth contacting your university to find out which days you'd be at the university as some courses will have you there for 4 days a week and some 2 days a week. However, your lectures might not be on the same day each week so that's definitely something to consider! Most universities will have Wednesdays off and they all have weekends off (I believe) so they're definitely your best bet for working.
As the artful_lounger mentioned, setting aside an hour or two after lectures have finished is one of the best things to do as you can finish your notes, consolidate your learning and keep on top of the work this way. However, if you work better in chunks, then if you've got a "free" day from university that you're not working, you can go through your notes and work on assignments, although do remember to take breaks and find some time for yourself or you'll soon get burnt out.

I hope this helps and I'm sure you'll soon find a routine that works best for you!

Emma
3rd year diagnostic radiography student
Hello, thank you for this. It has put my mind at ease a little to think of it as a full day of work like the first user mentioned.

I will definitely contact the uni for my timetable. I am studying an accelerated course, so a 2 year degree. I might be at uni for more days of the week for this reason.
EdgeHillStudents
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago

Hello Anonymous,

It's great that you are being so sensible in thinking about this before starting university and considering how you are going to organize your time well in terms of working, university, and free time. It can be a difficult thing to prioritize and can be overwhelming, so it's great that you are already considering how you are going to do this and I'm sure you will have no problems balancing these aspects. It is likely that you won't have university lessons every weekday, for example as mentioned above most universities have Wednesdays off, it may be that you have 2-4 days of university a week for example, meaning having a part-time job is more manageable. I was actually really surprised when coming to university how much free time I had! I know a lot of people have part-time jobs during their First Year of university and as long as your employee is aware of what hours you are able to do, it shouldn't be an issue. Your university will likely have a careers team that will be able to help you to find student-friendly part-time positions near where you are. In addition, you could also consider roles within the university by keeping your eye out for employment positions, for example, universities will often want students to help out during open day events, or other positions, this can be a great way to make some money without it taking up a lot of your busy week. I would recommend planning your week and days out and making sure you give yourself plenty of breaks and free time as others have mentioned. It is also important to make sure you are getting enough rest and fresh air, so consider planning this into your day. Be kind to yourself and don't push yourself too hard, make sure you schedule plenty of time for relaxing with your cat! I'm sure you will soon find your balance after a few months at university

I hope this is helpful and good luck with your studies!
Katie - First Year Educational Psychology Student
CurryCurry2468
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello! I’m currently doing admin work for my family business. I plan on leaving that next month but still working at home doing similar work, that is until September.

Tuition sounds good, only thing is I know to stand out you have to have very good grades. I remember looking for a tutor on sites like Tutor Hunt and this other one, the majority of tutors either had a lot of background experience in teaching or were straight A students. None of that applies to me.

I guess I could ask my new employer, when I find that job, if I could work weekends when the time comes.
Hello I am a 1st year uni student doing tutoring. Yes I got good grades but I would steer clear of sites like tutor hunt, its not that they're bad but competition will be too high.

You are better off applying via indeed for online tutor roles and also search for tutoring companies on google in the town where you will be attending uni. This is what I did and I landed a tutoring role but the pay was dead compared to what I used to get before but you need to look for places that offer good pay (most places will advertise like £10 to £15 per hour but some will offer higher, just about luck really).

And you can fit it all around your uni schedule, yes the money you will get may not be the best (depending on hours you do and the rate you get paid at) but it does give you a good balance between uni work and part time work.
turbobaithead
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
70:30 work and revision. Experience is key to getting hired straight out of education or even during. Once you're in try your best to stick to it and treat your job like real estate; keep trading up. Date someone if you hate yourself and want to make yourself worse or date multiple if you're a semen stain of Satan himself and love pain.
ChichesterStuRep
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago

Hey!

I've just finished my first year at uni and I felt the same before starting last year. Firstly, it's completely valid and normal to have these concerns as starting uni will be a big change from working full time! It is a hard balance between work/ uni and social life! Personally, I think it's all about finding what works best for you. For example, do you work best in the evenings or a certain time at night. If you can't really focus too well in the evenings maybe consider a job that would be more evening shifts such as bar work for example because its unlikely you would be able to get much uni work done if you don't focus well in the evenings and therefore it's less likely to interfere with the amount of work you get done. However, please make sure you allow time for yourself to chill and rest!

You could also consider finding a job that is 0 hour contract so that it is extremely flexible with your studies and you can maybe pick up more shifts when you have a week of studies that's less intense but then also work less hours when its exam season for example. Or if you considered weekend work maybe look at contracts that aren't too long hours so you still have maybe one day at the weekend free! I believe its all part of the learning experience when going to uni because its completely down to you how you manage your time! Please try not to stress too much as I'm sure you will be able to figure out what works best for you when you get there!

Best of luck with everything,
Abby, University of Chichester Student Rep, First Year Student Ambassador
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ChichesterStuRep)
Hey!

I've just finished my first year at uni and I felt the same before starting last year. Firstly, it's completely valid and normal to have these concerns as starting uni will be a big change from working full time! It is a hard balance between work/ uni and social life! Personally, I think it's all about finding what works best for you. For example, do you work best in the evenings or a certain time at night. If you can't really focus too well in the evenings maybe consider a job that would be more evening shifts such as bar work for example because its unlikely you would be able to get much uni work done if you don't focus well in the evenings and therefore it's less likely to interfere with the amount of work you get done. However, please make sure you allow time for yourself to chill and rest!

You could also consider finding a job that is 0 hour contract so that it is extremely flexible with your studies and you can maybe pick up more shifts when you have a week of studies that's less intense but then also work less hours when its exam season for example. Or if you considered weekend work maybe look at contracts that aren't too long hours so you still have maybe one day at the weekend free! I believe its all part of the learning experience when going to uni because its completely down to you how you manage your time! Please try not to stress too much as I'm sure you will be able to figure out what works best for you when you get there!

Best of luck with everything,
Abby, University of Chichester Student Rep, First Year Student Ambassador
I never thought of a 0 hour contract job! I’ll definitely look into more of that. That would be very useful
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago

Hi,
It can definitely be tricky especially at first while you are adjusting but its just about finding out what works best for you and how much study time you need for your course vs how much income you need from working. I try to work weekends and some weekdays on evenings after uni and on the days I'm not at university. However, I try to put my university needs first. I am also in a zero hour contract job so it is really flexible and I can pick up or swap shifts when I want to. Ultimately, it is definitely doable to have a job and be at university its just about finding out what works best for you and settling into the routine.

All the best
Kasey - University of Law Student Ambassador
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hi,
It can definitely be tricky especially at first while you are adjusting but its just about finding out what works best for you and how much study time you need for your course vs how much income you need from working. I try to work weekends and some weekdays on evenings after uni and on the days I'm not at university. However, I try to put my university needs first. I am also in a zero hour contract job so it is really flexible and I can pick up or swap shifts when I want to. Ultimately, it is definitely doable to have a job and be at university its just about finding out what works best for you and settling into the routine.

All the best
Kasey - University of Law Student Ambassador
Hi, thanks for your response.

Can I ask what your job is for zero hour contract?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (7)
41.18%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
23.53%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.76%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
17.65%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads