Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's rather stupid that I can't really answer this question. But here's the situation...

I've been at university for a month now. I get on with my flatmates, they find me really random and as a result sometimes things gets turned into a joke.

Examples:
    1. I replaced swear words with something else: It became my catchphrase and there were loads of sticky notes outside my door after a while.
    2. My surname is sort of unique and it's drawn attention. I've got a huge bubble writing on my door now, but I haven't rubbed it off because I think it's cool >.>
    3. My clothing: They would get me to try on their clothes sometimes, they even bought me some new clothes for my birthday.
    4. Drinking: I'm not a drinker (for no particular reason), occasionally they would try invite me out and buy me a drink, or ask what I think of X drink.

Now I've got another group of friend outside who watches this. They all think that there's the possability that I'm being peer-pressured into doing things, it's true that I'm somewhat of a pushover at times.

The thing is I personally don't feel like I'm being forced to do these things, at the end of the day I still feel like it's my choice whether I want to participate with my flatmates idea of fun.

What do people think?

ReputationRep:
    My clothing: They would get me to try on their clothes sometimes, they even bought me some new clothes for my birthday.

Drinking: I'm not a drinker (for no particular reason), occasionally they would try invite me out and buy me a drink, or ask what I think of X drink.
    I'd like to have friends like these! Unless they had really bad taste...

These are the reasons I don't think I'm being bullied though...

When I told my flatmates that some of my other friends were offended by the sticky notes. I came back to find an apology note on my door.

Some of them were offended when I was asked to have another drink that they just bought, a friend murmured "peer pressure". While they don't know this other situation, another one of my friend drank it on my behalf believing that I'd be forced to drink it if she didn't.

When they got me the new clothes (completely different from my style) they kept on asking if I felt really uncomfortable in it. I didn't mind... to be honest I'm quite happy with the idea of trying something new. It's just really different and embarrasing slightly I suppose especially since we're guys. =/

When I was worried about upseting the group by not sitting with them at dinner, one of them told me it didn't matter. They don't care about stuff like that...

Ultimately I'm sort of wondering if I can be peer-pressured when I'm going into things willingly. I feel as if I won't be shunned for not doing these things, and that I can say NO and they'd respect that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone on TSR can truely answer this as we cannot see how they are acting.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt say your being bullied the clothes thing and drinking does sound like peer-preassure personnally if it doesnt bother you then id just let thing continues as they are

ReputationRep:
    O_o they sound like great friends! >.<

(Original post by Pawsies)
    I don't think anyone on TSR can truely answer this as we cannot see how they are acting.
    Do you think it's possibly to be bullied while not realising that I'm being bullied though...?

To me I see these things as jokes. To others outside my group, they might interpret it as peer pressure.

I just don't get that nasty vibe from them. That's why I just assumed they were just cool people wanting me to try out new things...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Maybe I'm being too trusting but they sound like they're just being nice, and that applies to both groups involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy90)
    O_o they sound like great friends! >.<
    :ditto:

(Original post by brokenangel)
    I wouldnt say your being bullied the clothes thing and drinking does sound like peer-preassure personnally if it doesnt bother you then id just let thing continues as they are
    They basically said if I didn't like the clothing, just burn it.

It's peer pressure, but constantly telling me that I don't need to do these things?

Peer pressure as making guilt tripping myself. It'd be my fault by then rather than theirs. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    i don't think it's possible to be bullied without knowing cos its all about the way it is taken and the way it is said. i get the impression they are just trying to include you and are being friendly especially since they apologized when they thought you might be upset.

ReputationRep:
    When I read the original post, I thought you were a girl - and it was even weird then. Now I know you're male, so you look even more daft. I bet you're one of those pathetic emo types. Probably one step away from the first self-harm episode because 'the world is against you'.

Yeah mate, you're being bullied. It's widely acknowledged that bullies have evolved. No longer do they physically and mentally abuse their victim, no, that's not cool anymore. They now prefer to treat the unsuspecting individual warmly, buying them drinks and birthday gifts.

Man you got it tough.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like they're just having a laugh with you. Though we cannot difinitely say.

(Original post by #1_Wasteman)
    When I read the original post, I thought you were a girl - and it was even weird then. Now I know you're male, so you look even more daft. I bet you're one of those pathetic emo types. Probably one step away from the first self-harm episode because 'the world is against you'.

Yeah mate, you're being bullied. It's widely acknowledged that bullies have evolved. No longer do they physically and mentally abuse their victim, no, that's not cool anymore. They now prefer to treat the unsuspecting individual warmly, buying them drinks and birthday gifts.

Man you got it tough.
    You're such a tough man. Opposite scale with the whole No emotions huh?
    Grow up dude. There really was no need to insult me.

I asked because others were concerned about me, and I'm trying to see if there is truth in what they say. Just because you don't observe and analyse what's happening in your environment doesn't mean that I can't.

Would you even be able to answer that question?

Is it possible to be peer-pressured into doing something without realising that you are being peer-pressured? In reality it's not such a simple question.

Anyhow rant over. Sorry everybody else. I appreciate your insight on the situation.

(Original post by Diaz)
    Sounds like they're just having a laugh with you. Though we cannot difinitely say.
    Same. Looks like I was correct first time. They're just being friendly and occasionally having a laugh at my expense, but that's how joke friendships go.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your other friends are jealous of you making new 'cooler' friends.

ReputationRep:
    As long as everything remains friendly and teasing, rather than snide and cruel, I think it's fine.

Seems that they like you, and just want to have a laugh with you. If they say hurtful things, just gently tell them that what they have said isn't cool.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds to me like they're just being friendly, though it's hard to tell solely of what you've said.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by #1_Wasteman)

Man you got it tough.
    I hope you're being sarcastic.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.