don't know what to with my life

Watch this thread
berrybeom
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi currently in year 12 and I really don't know what to do with my life. I do subjects that i somewhat like but not enough to do in university and to be honest i don't even know what i want to do in uni, i do want to go into healthcare but i feel like I've limited my options by dropping biology and although i have visited my careers adviser and form tutor quite a lot they haven' t really helped and just said that i should "figure it out" and that i should preferably do that before year 13! like wow thank you for the help hun. anyways, i am quite interested in diagnostic radiography but like said no science and i have contacted some unis and got no response. No idea where i am going with this sooo any advice?? also if anyone does a level french pls help me your girl is struggling. paper one is not it, like i most definitely flopped it today, I'll be surprised if i even get an E at the end of this year. byeeeee
Noble.x
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Luckily for you, most healthcare jobs do not need experience or GCSEs
Last edited by Noble.x; 1 month ago
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by berrybeom)
Hi currently in year 12 and I really don't know what to do with my life. I do subjects that i somewhat like but not enough to do in university and to be honest i don't even know what i want to do in uni, i do want to go into healthcare but i feel like I've limited my options by dropping biology and although i have visited my careers adviser and form tutor quite a lot they haven' t really helped and just said that i should "figure it out" and that i should preferably do that before year 13! like wow thank you for the help hun. anyways, i am quite interested in diagnostic radiography but like said no science and i have contacted some unis and got no response. No idea where i am going with this sooo any advice?? also if anyone does a level french pls help me your girl is struggling. paper one is not it, like i most definitely flopped it today, I'll be surprised if i even get an E at the end of this year. byeeeee
Hello,

I know it’s really daunting not to know what to do. Although it is useful to know in year 13, this is not necessary. There are plenty of people at university at degree level and beyond who are not sure what they want to do career wise. I would keep an open mind and just research generally the options that your A Levels give you. I actually found law, the degree I study now through an a level generator that gave me options of careers.

You can always take a gap year if you’re really unsure of what you want to do to gain some work experience and explore your interests. Don’t place too much pressure on yourself for not knowing what you want to do. Things change as you get older and careers are not the linear path we often taught to think about. Different life experiences will shape you and as you go through life you’ll realise more what you’re interested in. Everyone goes through a journey for this and it looks different for everyone.

All the best,

Teresa (University of Southampton Ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Healthcare roles in the NHS - and many of these can be entered via an apprenticeship not a degree - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp.../explore-roles

Not Going to Uni - useful for getting ideas of what else is out there - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/

Apprenticeship searches - https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ticeshipsearch

Medical roles in the Navy - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...anches/medical
sunshine11111
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hey, im in y13 and i have applied to a healthcare pharmacy. okay so firstly dropping biology has not limited u by any chance,because there are a lot of healthcare courses that dont require it and even the bigger ones like medicine and pharmacy dont. especially unis outside london would probs not require it. what u have to do might sound a little bit long winded. but first u need to sit down with ur self and ask ur self what subject do u enjoy the most out of ur a levels,for me it was chemistry and thats why i chose pharmacy. then after uve done that research all the possible career choices that u could have with that DONT JUST SAY yh i want to go into healthcare,coz u may find somthing sooo good and more suitable.after uve gathered all the possible choices that sound like something ude enjoy, write them down and research them WELLLLLL !!! and from there u will start to narow ur options. IF U STILL DONT KNOW PLZ dont apply that year to uni and do something ur not sure about coz ull regret it,and its not the end of the worldif u decide to take a gap year and use it to find ur personality and what u like and do work experience. just honestly make sure u do ur research.for me in the beginning it was gonna be 100% medicine and then after my research and work experience and also looking at what they study in uni i was like nopeeee not for me and it legit has 0 chemistry which is literally my fav. anywys good luck honestly dont let it worry u !!!
SaraLeeman
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I am 25 right now and I would definitely agree that getting some work experience in gap year/ apprenticeship is the way to go now. School is so different to actual work and looking back now, it seems pretty crazy to be making such an important decision without knowing anything. You'll ending up getting a lot more out of uni as well with a bit of experience.
lovelottie
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Girllll I also do a level french and the papers are so hard! The translations are just hsisjdbdbdbjwhdgx so annoying but what I do for revision is make mind maps of topics using about 3-5 statistics that I’m going to reuse for that topic, mind map important vocab, the content, make it colourful and pretty, and basically make sure you have specific examples of something in every topic - you don’t need to know every single one just a couple examples with some detail will do! It’s very much consistant work because it’s a language so regular work is most beneficial,,, hope this helpssss )
littlewenjunhui
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
For a level french, I find that watching youtube channels about the news really helpful for improving listening skills and learning new vocabulary. You could also learn new words through sites like quizlet and memrise; although that’s not what I do, I’ve heard it’s helpful. But for learning the core vocabulary I use the textbook as well as another book called Mot à mot.

Is your board aqa? I did the exam yesterday too, I found some of the questions pretty confusing ngl.
berrybeom
Rep:
(Original post by littlewenjunhui)
For a level french, I find that watching youtube channels about the news really helpful for improving listening skills and learning new vocabulary. You could also learn new words through sites like quizlet and memrise; although that’s not what I do, I’ve heard it’s helpful. But for learning the core vocabulary I use the textbook as well as another book called Mot à mot.

Is your board aqa? I did the exam yesterday too, I found some of the questions pretty confusing ngl.
Yes, I do aqa!!! The listening for me was an absolute shambles😭 I spent most of my time on the listening section going back and scrabbling answers down and the musical education section was so bad I only understood the word opera💀 thank you for the advice I’ll definitely look into that book
berrybeom
Rep:
(Original post by lovelottie)
Girllll I also do a level french and the papers are so hard! The translations are just hsisjdbdbdbjwhdgx so annoying but what I do for revision is make mind maps of topics using about 3-5 statistics that I’m going to reuse for that topic, mind map important vocab, the content, make it colourful and pretty, and basically make sure you have specific examples of something in every topic - you don’t need to know every single one just a couple examples with some detail will do! It’s very much consistant work because it’s a language so regular work is most beneficial,,, hope this helpssss )
I really wanted to drop french but my french teacher kept telling me to stay because I’ll improve but girl I don’t think I will😶 the only section I’m good at is the speaking 😭 and I just waffle my way through that
berrybeom
Rep:
(Original post by LeviBronte)
Become an actor
Girl 🤨
berrybeom
Rep:
(Original post by SaraLeeman)
I am 25 right now and I would definitely agree that getting some work experience in gap year/ apprenticeship is the way to go now. School is so different to actual work and looking back now, it seems pretty crazy to be making such an important decision without knowing anything. You'll ending up getting a lot more out of uni as well with a bit of experience.
I am heavily considering a gap year but I don’t think my parents will let me 🥲 i was thinking of applying for jobs in my local hospital to see if I’m suited for any of the roles then maybe doing an access course into that field for uni? But I dunno
berrybeom
Rep:
(Original post by sunshine11111)
hey, im in y13 and i have applied to a healthcare pharmacy. okay so firstly dropping biology has not limited u by any chance,because there are a lot of healthcare courses that dont require it and even the bigger ones like medicine and pharmacy dont. especially unis outside london would probs not require it. what u have to do might sound a little bit long winded. but first u need to sit down with ur self and ask ur self what subject do u enjoy the most out of ur a levels,for me it was chemistry and thats why i chose pharmacy. then after uve done that research all the possible career choices that u could have with that DONT JUST SAY yh i want to go into healthcare,coz u may find somthing sooo good and more suitable.after uve gathered all the possible choices that sound like something ude enjoy, write them down and research them WELLLLLL !!! and from there u will start to narow ur options. IF U STILL DONT KNOW PLZ dont apply that year to uni and do something ur not sure about coz ull regret it,and its not the end of the worldif u decide to take a gap year and use it to find ur personality and what u like and do work experience. just honestly make sure u do ur research.for me in the beginning it was gonna be 100% medicine and then after my research and work experience and also looking at what they study in uni i was like nopeeee not for me and it legit has 0 chemistry which is literally my fav. anywys good luck honestly dont let it worry u !!!
When I initially chose my subjects (bio, health and social, french and sociology) I wanted to do physiotherapy and I still can despite dropping biology at some unis but I’ve looked on unis for other healthcare courses like midwifery, and radiography and they all just want biology😭 my best bet at the moment is maybe bcu or Salford university but through the alternative entry scheme if I’m even eligible for it 🥲 inshallah I am
berrybeom
Rep:
(Original post by Noble.x)
Luckily for you, most healthcare jobs do not need experience or GCSEs
I dunno about that…I’m talking about clinical roles
berrybeom
Rep:
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hello,

I know it’s really daunting not to know what to do. Although it is useful to know in year 13, this is not necessary. There are plenty of people at university at degree level and beyond who are not sure what they want to do career wise. I would keep an open mind and just research generally the options that your A Levels give you. I actually found law, the degree I study now through an a level generator that gave me options of careers.

You can always take a gap year if you’re really unsure of what you want to do to gain some work experience and explore your interests. Don’t place too much pressure on yourself for not knowing what you want to do. Things change as you get older and careers are not the linear path we often taught to think about. Different life experiences will shape you and as you go through life you’ll realise more what you’re interested in. Everyone goes through a journey for this and it looks different for everyone.

All the best,

Teresa (University of Southampton Ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk
I am honestly thinking of a gap year. I just wish my parents and college didn’t put so much pressure on me right now to know everything that I want to with my life like Damn let me live for a minute 😭
berrybeom
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Healthcare roles in the NHS - and many of these can be entered via an apprenticeship not a degree - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp.../explore-roles

Not Going to Uni - useful for getting ideas of what else is out there - https://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/

Apprenticeship searches - https://www.findapprenticeship.servi...ticeshipsearch

Medical roles in the Navy - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers...anches/medical
Thank you I’ll definitely look at these links
Leslie Knope
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
Damn let me live for a minute 😭
You and every other person out there.
gabidelano
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do a science foundation year at uni? I’m doing it this September. I spent this last academic year doing Philosophy and thought **** that I wanna go into Neuroscience. So even if you make a choice and then later change your mind, the uni might allow you to switch courses
sunshine11111
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
When I initially chose my subjects (bio, health and social, french and sociology) I wanted to do physiotherapy and I still can despite dropping biology at some unis but I’ve looked on unis for other healthcare courses like midwifery, and radiography and they all just want biology😭 my best bet at the moment is maybe bcu or Salford university but through the alternative entry scheme if I’m even eligible for it 🥲 inshallah I am
some unis offer foundation yrs if u realllly want to do that course but u dont have the required subjects
littlewenjunhui
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Yes, I do aqa!!! The listening for me was an absolute shambles😭 I spent most of my time on the listening section going back and scrabbling answers down and the musical education section was so bad I only understood the word opera💀 thank you for the advice I’ll definitely look into that book
I can barely remember anything from the listening section and it’s making me really anxious- I spent most of my time on the reading section cause I felt like every question was a trap . I kept over-analyzing the questions on the guy who was talking about moving to the countryside and the text of that one novel (I think it was la symphonie pastorale??) literally made me question reality 😭.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (59)
27.06%
As I expected (69)
31.65%
Harder (82)
37.61%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.67%

Watched Threads