Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    when did you become a moderator?
    Congratulations
    Just a few weeks ago. And thank you, kind sir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mary21)
    we weren't even making alot of noise - we've made much more than that much later at nite, sometimes all night
    I guess that your neighbours finally got sick of your misbehaving and complained.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend, his friend and myself were in his room the other nite and at about 2am we got a visit from the wardens saying that they'd had a noise complaint at 1.30 from a neighbour. they then smelt that we'd been smoking an assortment of things in their too, and now, although they said they would let us off the 'herbal cigarrettes' this time, we have a disciplinary hearing and a fine of up to £100 each to face.

we weren't even making alot of noise - we've made much more than that much later at nite, sometimes all night and have never had a problem, or been told we were being a problem. the noise wasn't offensive on any account - my boyfriends flat is full of chinese and saudi arabian people, but the friend is pakistani so we of course weren't being racist or anything.

but what i don't get is why the neighbour couldn't of just come and have a word with us himself instead of being a right ******* and getting us in **** loads of trouble. if someone had come and asked us to be quieter then we would have been. we're now also worried about how much noise we can make cos it wasn't a late nite, and it was alot less noise than we've made at other times....how would you feel if you were us, or what would you have done if you were the one who complained?
    I think your neighbour has probably got sick of you being inconsiderate and selfish. You've admitted to making lots of noise on regular occasions and this was probably the final straw.

Why are you making noise at 2:00 am anyway? Do you not realise people have to be awake early for lectures or work? Not eveyone can sit around smoking themselves senseless every day and night. Also on this point... how can 2 in the morning not be classified as a late night? For the person opposite who may have to be up at 7 I bet it is a extremely late night! :mad:

Grow up. Realise the complaint was justified and try to be better flatmates because you sound like a right d**k.

Also be thankful that you didn't get kicked out of your accommodation for drug use! :rolleyes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Last night was a Friday night. In your original post you said "the other night" so I would assume it was during the week, else you would have said last weekend. When people are woken up at 2am when they have a lecture at 9am, they're not going to be happy. Early hours of a Saturday morning people aren't going to be as bothered.
    Yeah exactly. I have lectures at 9am all the time except every third Friday, so I really don't appreciate being woken up during the weekdays. Weekends are different - probably because I'm usually out and perhaps make a bit of noise myself.

ReputationRep:
    You deserved what you got really. Now if only everyone making noise at stupid am during the week would get a fine, that would equal bliss.

ReputationRep:
    well why not complain on one of those occasions? when there probably was more reason to complain....
    You don't know who made the complaint, right?

Some people don't have the confidence to make themselves known..

Maybe the fine wasn't for the noise but smoking though? Even though they let you off what I assume you meant was weed, smoking at all is strictly prohibited in my halls..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    even if I do have the confidence to knock on his door, I know I will be confronted by about 6 people all drunk and probably drugged up to the eyeballs.

That's why I call security every time from the comfort of my own bed.
    Exactly. Why should the person who's being forced to listen to your rubbish at all hours have to face up to you at such an early time in the morning. They might not feel safe doing such a thing.

ReputationRep:
    You deserved it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah deserved. Would you walk into a room where people have been making noise, smoking and drinking and ask them not to? I doubt it. Be thankful it was just a fine really and not something more severe.

ReputationRep:
    Well deserved and you have no reason to complain really.

ReputationRep:
    I live next door to a multiple student let. On the whole they have been reasonable and we cut them some slack for the occasional party. Until this year. In the short time the new intake have been next door they have made myself and the lives of the occupants of the other two flats in my building miserable. We have asked them nicely more than once to be better neighbours to no avail. In fact when we asked them not to urinate in the garden, at the next party they peed off the fire escape over our bikes whilst commenting that they could do what they like and we could do nothing about it (they were wrong).

I find mary21's suggestion to pop around and ask them to keep the noise down laughable. She's a brave (or stupid?) woman to tackle a large group of drunken, selfish louts on her own. She seems quite proud of the fact that she's made far more noise previously. Perhaps it was the straw that broke the camels back for her neighbour who surprisingly didn't want to confront a group of louts off their heads on illegal drugs and probably alcohol as well. How would mary21 feel if it were her elderly parents being subjected to such frightening, selfish and unpleasant behaviour?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.