Help... Finishing My Degree!!!

Watch this thread
dudders24
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am completely lost and have been abandoned by uni, my lecturers and other support.

I started my degree before Covid and was in my second year when we went into lockdown.

I tried to go into the third year and wasn't coping, my grades slipped (but above fail mark) and I decided to stop and restart my third year.

Went in to see my tutors last summer and asked for help but was turned away by them. Told to get my mental health sorted first... great! When I suggested ways I thought they could help, they weren't interested/it was too much trouble.

I'm nearly at the end with my dissertation to write and two coursework modules to complete, but I don't know where to turn to for help.

I've been struggling since I was diagnosed with ADHD and Autism in 2019, been really I'll while titrating on medication (that is supposed to help), and I feel so worthless and stupid as a result.

I want to achieve a first or high 2:1 and know I am capable of doing so. I don't want to just pass my degree and get it over with. I also don't know how funding works or where I can get the money from, or who to ask for help and how to get through this.

I was studying graphic design and have lost all confidence in the subject. I'd really like to work in a studio or with a designer and try to regain some sense I can do this again.

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm really struggling and depressed and just need a little help and support. Thank you!
Last edited by dudders24; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Hey, I’m sorry to hear you’re going through this

I’m currently a first year so I can’t provide much advice myself. However, I highly recommend posting this to Reddit- in particular the r/UniUK subreddit. TSR website is pretty slow with responses whereas I’ve seen many people get good advice from people who’s been in similar situations on Reddit.

Hope this helps and wishing you the best
University of Plymouth Postgraduate Student Rep
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by dudders24)
I am completely lost and have been abandoned by uni, my lecturers and other support.

I started my degree before Covid and was in my second year when we went into lockdown.

I tried to go into the third year and wasn't coping, my grades slipped (but above fail mark) and I decided to stop and restart my third year.

Went in to see my tutors last summer and asked for help but was turned away by them. Told to get my mental health sorted first... great! When I suggested ways I thought they could help, they weren't interested/it was too much trouble.

I'm nearly at the end with my dissertation to write and two coursework modules to complete, but I don't know where to turn to for help.

I've been struggling since I was diagnosed with ADHD and Autism in 2019, been really I'll while titrating on medication (that is supposed to help), and I feel so worthless and stupid as a result.

I want to achieve a first or high 2:1 and know I am capable of doing so. I don't want to just pass my degree and get it over with. I also don't know how funding works or where I can get the money from, or who to ask for help and how to get through this.

I was studying graphic design and have lost all confidence in the subject. I'd really like to work in a studio or with a designer and try to regain some sense I can do this again.

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm really struggling and depressed and just need a little help and support. Thank you!
Hi dudders24,

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this. I know someone who has been in a similar situation and they went to a drop-in session at the Wellness Centre who were really helpful and spoke to their personal tutor for help. If you haven't tried the Wellness Centre already it might be worth a go. I hope this manages to help in some way!

Sophie- University of Plymouth postgrad rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed