Is this outfit formal enough?

Watch this thread
sciencegcsesss
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello

For a school visit to Parliament on a warm day, would this jumper (see attached picture) with black jeans be suitable for the formality of the setting or do I have to buy a blazer/suit?

Thanks
Attached files
Last edited by sciencegcsesss; 4 weeks ago
zakramsey
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
If you have a suit you could just wear a plain white t-shirt and the suit/formal jacket?
sciencegcsesss
Rep:
(Original post by zakramsey)
If you have a suit you could just wear a plain white t-shirt and the suit/formal jacket?
Thank you for your reply
I don’t have any blazers or anything that formal Would the attached jumper be formal enough or is it too informal for the setting?
Last edited by sciencegcsesss; 4 weeks ago
zakramsey
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
The attached jumper is fine ,

You wouldn't want to go to Parliament in a suit, shirt and tie even if you had one, to be honest - you're not an MP, you're a visitor. Black's a good shade and the jumper is plain which is good as it would seem ill-fitting to wear something with obnoxious patterns or large logos. You don't see MPs wearing big hot pink ties or orange ties, it's usually blue or black which is pretty professional, as is the jumper. Are you going to wear something underneath like a formal shirt? That could be the cherry on top.
Leslie Knope
Badges: 20
Report 4 weeks ago
The jumper and black jeans should be fine, but a black top and a pair of black jeans seems a tad bit excessive? On a sunny day aswell, you don't want to be looking all morbid.
zakramsey
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Leslie Knope)
The jumper and black jeans should be fine, but a black top and a pair of black jeans seems a tad bit excessive? On a sunny day aswell, you don't want to be looking all morbid.
Agreed, but one can always take a jumper off (if they are wearing something underneath). Do the Houses of Parliament have air conditioning? 😂
sciencegcsesss
Rep:
(Original post by zakramsey)
The attached jumper is fine ,

You wouldn't want to go to Parliament in a suit, shirt and tie even if you had one, to be honest - you're not an MP, you're a visitor. Black's a good shade and the jumper is plain which is good as it would seem ill-fitting to wear something with obnoxious patterns or large logos. You don't see MPs wearing big hot pink ties or orange ties, it's usually blue or black which is pretty professional, as is the jumper. Are you going to wear something underneath like a formal shirt? That could be the cherry on top.
Thank you so much for your reply, it has really helped and reassured me.

Yes, I definitely agree with you. I don’t think they can expect sixth form students to behave as if it’s a business meeting. And yes as long as it isn’t anything short or of a very bold colour it’ll be fine.
and yes, sorry that I didn’t make it clear. I will wear a long sleeved shirt underneath of a neutral colour.

thanks again!
zakramsey
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
You're welcome! Glad I could help
sciencegcsesss
Rep:
(Original post by Leslie Knope)
Oh yeah I definitely get where you’re coming from, but I think I’ll stick with it because it’s the most formal outfit I have and the jumper has some white frilly sleeves so it won’t be completely black.
dannyharrison897
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I think you would need a lightweight blazer to put on for your warm day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (9)
45%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (5)
25%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
10%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
15%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5%

Watched Threads