Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Everything happens for a reason - true or false?? watch

• View Poll Results: "Everything happens for a reason" - agree or disagree?
    Agree
    54.97%
    Disagree
    45.03%

ReputationRep:
    No things don't happen for a reason. no no no no no no no no.

Things have consequences and results, but there's no prior reasoning to anything.

Stuff happens, stuff doesn't think 'hmm before I begin this action, I must have a reason and a long term benefit for it". Things just happen in order, after another thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rich2606)
    alright then, the example of the deaths of young babies. why does that happen? it certainly doesn't have a positive effect on the baby. but maybe it is to change the parents outlook on life? does fate really deem the death of the child who never even had a chance at life as a necessary sacrifice just change these people's lives in some way? was the child created purely just to teach this couple a lifes lesson?!
    topics of that nature really depend on whether you believe in life after death

to those who don't they would obv see the death of a baby as a waste of life etc

but to those who do believe will believe that the baby was brought into this world, albeit for a short period of time for a reason.. God knows what that reason is.. it doesnt necessarily have to change the parents.. it could effect its sibling anyone else. and though the child isnt here in the physcial world.. they will there on the other side safe and sound

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satan's Whiskers)
    I'd like to believe that everything happens for a reason, but so far it just seems to me that people say that to comfort themselves when things go wrong... which is fine, of course! I just don't think it's true.
    yeah same

ReputationRep:
    I do believe everything happens for a reason, mainly because everything that's happened to me has got me where I am now, and if it hadn't have happened, my life wouldn't be as it is now and lots of other reasons too.

I don't think this immediately after something goes wrong though, I think it after I've had chance to make sense of what's happened. As a sort of reflective thing.

ReputationRep:
    everything since the big bang - true

ReputationRep:
    No
    i've had 5 years of an inactive life and fear of my inexperience.

ReputationRep:
    I used to believe it did, but there are some things that happen and then i'm not so sure..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gapyear111)
    What about this then:

If person x bullies person y.
    Person y in turn becomes a bully and bullies person z.
    How is that fair on person z?
    what has fair got to do with anything??

ReputationRep:
    We have very good reasons to believe everything has a cause - we can't prove it, since we can't actually see the cause of anything - so yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do think everything happens for a reason. I think the bad things make us stronger and makes it easier to cope when other bad things happen, and to appreciate fully the good things in life.

But that doesn't mean I know why things happen, or the explanation for everything that's wrong with the world.

And I don't think that we know why **** things have happened immediately afterwards. I think that years later, people reflect back on their lives and things fall into place. It wont all make sense, but a lot will.

ReputationRep:
    Disagree. To use a fairly trite example, I have a cold at the moment. I don't believe in God, or fate, or destiny, and therefore I don't think I've been given this cold for a reason. It just happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I personally believe everything happens for a reason. I have come through a lot of crap in life and, yes, it's not fair, but it's made me a stronger person overall and I've met some wonderful people who have helped me through some tough times.
    :ditto: this.

some of the crap ive been through has made me the person i am today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    Disagree. To use a fairly trite example, I have a cold at the moment. I don't believe in God, or fate, or destiny, and therefore I don't think I've been given this cold for a reason. It just happened.
    Assuming you got that cold from someone else - maybe they wouldn't have given you a cold if something was different in their life and they were doing something else that day.
    Hmm, all this thinking is too complicated:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you got that cold from someone else - maybe they wouldn't have given you a cold if something was different in their life and they were doing something else that day.
    I guess so. And from that you can take one of two interpretations: a) that that person was destined to be near me and destined to give me the cold, or b) that the whole thing was entirely coincidental and random. I choose the latter version.

A child, age 9, is diagnosed with leukemia and dies 6 months later. The dying is slow and painful. Reason?

ReputationRep:
    So? doesn't mean it happened for a reason. it just happened that way, it had to happen one way out of the whole other infinite-less posibilties.

Things happen because of reasons. E.g. you get a cold off someone else because it is contagious.

Things don't happen for reasons.

I do agree with it, but it's a complete ******** statement. Of course everything happens for a reason, e.g. I have brown eyes because I inherited them off my parents, it's raining because there are rainclouds above us, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in determinism, but the compatible variety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibilism

So I do think everything happens for a reason, but there is still randomness and no justice overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makinghistory)
    Things happen because of reasons.
    Things don't happen for reasons.
    finally, someone speaking sense in a short, concise, easy to understand point, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, clearly if we're talking about the physical world, everything happens for a reason. See: Newton's Laws of Motion.

However, if we're talking about events that happen in your life, then they only happen for a reason in as much as they have a cause. You may like to assign them some kind of meaning, and even extend that idea to give your life some kind of narrative arch, but that's nothing more than wishful thinking, sorry.

Okay, yeah, I'd also like to concur with the for and because differentiation.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.