username5966192
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
this question has been deleted
Last edited by username5966192; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Most unis (not just "top unis") require a pass in the practical endorsement for all science subjects being taken.

If your aim is going to uni then you should look to retake the practical endorsement with your school - ideally try and arrange that now, as it should still be free for you...

In any case the rest of this is stuff you need to speak to your GP about in the first instance. Note also therapists do not exist solely to "clarify" what "issues" you have, but to provide workable solutions to manage and mitigate the symptoms of those.
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Can you still? Sure you can. But it will involve a retake, not them feeling sorry for you and saying you don't need to bother. You need to discuss that with your school and you need to do it now, so you can find another school for next year if they say no. I don't know if you can retake just the practical endorsement or if you would have to do the whole A level, but either way, getting the best results you can this year can't hurt.

Universities are used to applications from people who have had a moment of clarity, turned their life around, and have a somewhat weird and inconsistent academic profile as a result. If nothing else it tends to lead to them having a more interesting PS than most people

Do you need to go to a therapist? Possibly not - it sounds as if you've figured things out for yourself without one, in the sense that you've already started putting in the work you'll need rather than thinking it would be nice if you did.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by honoured mindset)
I'm a year 13 who takes Maths, Physics and Chemistry A levels

I was a very disciplined kid during GCSE, I revised a lot and got good GCSE's (8's) - and I do think I would've been able to get all 9's on the actual exams - thanks covid.

When I got to A levels I specifically remember everyone around me knowing exactly where and what they wanted to do, which presumably gave them motivation
But I didn't; so I had no motiv to work. In fact it got soo bad, to the point where I couldn't even manage to copy off a 10 minute homework without procrastinating it

Sorry for that, but is it still possible?
Sort out how to resit the practical endorsement - unless you do a Foundation year, you'll need it.

Personally I'd forget Cambridge and look for a university where Engineering is more industry focused - I think it'll suit you better and it will make you more employable,
username5966192
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
Sort out how to resit the practical endorsement - unless you do a Foundation year, you'll need it.

Personally I'd forget Cambridge and look for a university where Engineering is more industry focused - I think it'll suit you better and it will make you more employable,
If I get 3 A*s at A level and explain the situation to Cambridge/Ucl/etc, would I be able to do a foundation year?
username5966192
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
Can you still? Sure you can. But it will involve a retake, not them feeling sorry for you and saying you don't need to bother. You need to discuss that with your school and you need to do it now, so you can find another school for next year if they say no. I don't know if you can retake just the practical endorsement or if you would have to do the whole A level, but either way, getting the best results you can this year can't hurt.

Universities are used to applications from people who have had a moment of clarity, turned their life around, and have a somewhat weird and inconsistent academic profile as a result. If nothing else it tends to lead to them having a more interesting PS than most people

Do you need to go to a therapist? Possibly not - it sounds as if you've figured things out for yourself without one, in the sense that you've already started putting in the work you'll need rather than thinking it would be nice if you did.
I think I won't do a retake tbh because being surrounded by people younger than me would make me feel dumber than I already feel. If I were to get 3 A*s at A level, what options would I have? Is it impossible for me to go to a good uni for any stem course?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...y-requirements

Bath would accept you for 2022 or a deferred place - do you hold offers?
If I get 3 A*s at A level and explain the situation to Cambridge/Ucl/etc, would I be able to do a foundation year?
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You'd be better off focussing on your A levels at this point and trying to sort a pathway to a practical endorsement. Do you go to an underperforming school?

Edit to add: there will be plenty of ways to overcome this - but probably require a bit of pain.
Last edited by ajj2000; 1 month ago
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What situation are you in at the moment? Did you apply to universities this year? Do you have any offers?

Bath is an excellent uni for engineering - good spot by Muttley that they're not requiring the practical endorsement at the moment. You would have to call them and see if they still have places in order to look into applying via Extra this year (there is no Adjustment any more, the alternative is clearing). Or you could take a gap year and apply in the autumn with achieved results. You should also check that there are other universities you'd be happy to go to that don't require the endorsement so you're not putting all your eggs in one basket by taking a gap year and not resitting it - getting into Bath isn't a certainty for anyone.
username5966192
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
You'd be better off focussing on your A levels at this point and trying to sort a pathway to a practical endorsement. Do you go to an underperforming school?

Edit to add: there will be plenty of ways to overcome this - but probably require a bit of pain.
Thank u for the reassurement. Do u think I can do the pracs endorsement over the summer? Or is that not possible
username5966192
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
What situation are you in at the moment? Did you apply to universities this year? Do you have any offers?

Bath is an excellent uni for engineering - good spot by Muttley that they're not requiring the practical endorsement at the moment. You would have to call them and see if they still have places in order to look into applying via Extra this year (there is no Adjustment any more, the alternative is clearing). Or you could take a gap year and apply in the autumn with achieved results. You should also check that there are other universities you'd be happy to go to that don't require the endorsement so you're not putting all your eggs in one basket by taking a gap year and not resitting it - getting into Bath isn't a certainty for anyone.
Thank u so much for the recommendation. Why do Bath exempt pracs but other top unis don't? Especially when Bath is better than a lot of them? Why have universities decided that these pracs are soo crucial, that an A* student shouldn't be let in without them especially when 1) for years this wasn't the case and 2) the exams assess practical knowledge?
ajj2000
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank u for the reassurement. Do u think I can do the pracs endorsement over the summer? Or is that not possible
I think you have to ask your school for advice.
username5966192
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/under...y-requirements

Bath would accept you for 2022 or a deferred place - do you hold offers?
No, I was going to apply through UCAS extra until I found out that apparently most unis need a practical endorsement. Do u know whether this practical endorsement is something I can do over a Summer? Surely I can just write it up again (I still have my book with 6 pracs write ups) then hand it in time for A level results day? Bath is a really good uni but idk if its the one for me (I do realise that I'm not exactly in a position to be picky LOL)
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
No you can't do it over the summer - the deadline for August results has passed.
No, I was going to apply through UCAS extra until I found out that apparently most unis need a practical endorsement. Do u know whether this practical endorsement is something I can do over a Summer? Surely I can just write it up again (I still have my book with 6 pracs write ups) then hand it in time for A level results day? Bath is a really good uni but idk if its the one for me (I do realise that I'm not exactly in a position to be picky LOL)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (65)
28.02%
As I expected (72)
31.03%
Harder (87)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.45%

Watched Threads