Currently doing GCSEs and I have no motivation to revise.

Watch this thread
waterenjoyer
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I grinded really hard in Easter, putting in 5 or 6 hours a day and now I have no motivation at all. I got mostly 8s and 9s in the mocks and I really don't see that happening in the actual exams. I know I'm going to fail, or at the very least be disappointed and I just don't care. I understand the whole point of needing the best grades possible for future employment and still I have no drive.

There was a point halfway through maths paper 1 where I realised how many questions I was getting wrong simply because I was too lazy to go over them the previous days, despite knowing full well they might come up. I wish I had the drive that I had to revise mocks now; I don't know where it went. Every time I try to revise now I just end up staring at a wall or procrastinating and getting frustrated.

Someone please scare me into doing some work, I'm at a loss for what to do anymore.
Last edited by waterenjoyer; 1 month ago
SagaciousSag
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Sounds like burnout. Do not do that much revision in a day, because it is not necessary and this is the result. This may sound scarier, but the best way to recover is to take a break from work as much as you can. Get some sleep, eat well, allow yourself to recover, take care of yourself and try to limit revision unless you have an exam in the next couple of days. This should make your later papers turn out better than the first papers. Additionally, if you revised well in Easter, you shouldn't perform too badly in your exams. Good luck, and I hope this works for you.
rebelw
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
just listen to some eminem and literally read through mark schemes and cgp books, revision doesn't have to be that hard
also try revising with friends and going out to a cafe after exams finish for the day or something. Being stuck at home, alone, revising for multiple weeks is guaranteed to make u lack motivation
mbxxw23
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by waterenjoyer)
I grinded really hard in Easter, putting in 5 or 6 hours a day and now I have no motivation at all. I got mostly 8s and 9s in the mocks and I really don't see that happening in the actual exams. I know I'm going to fail, or at the very least be disappointed and I just don't care. I understand the whole point of needing the best grades possible for future employment and still I have no drive.

There was a point halfway through maths paper 1 where I realised how many questions I was getting wrong simply because I was too lazy to go over them the previous days, despite knowing full well they might come up. I wish I had the drive that I had to revise mocks now; I don't know where it went. Every time I try to revise now I just end up staring at a wall or procrastinating and getting frustrated.

Someone please scare me into doing some work, I'm at a loss for what to do anymore.
Hey, I understand that you have lost motivation and that's totally okay. Take a break, watch a movie or even go for a walk. If you still feel guilty your not doing revision do the Pomodoro technique in 20 minute intervals whether it's flashcards or just quick fire practice questions. I feel like that as well and it is hard to cope with but sometimes it's best to take a rest from revision and let your mind breathe. Your nearly there, don't loose hope your future self will thank you for that. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great in your GCSES.
waterenjoyer
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mbxxw23)
Hey, I understand that you have lost motivation and that's totally okay. Take a break, watch a movie or even go for a walk. If you still feel guilty your not doing revision do the Pomodoro technique in 20 minute intervals whether it's flashcards or just quick fire practice questions. I feel like that as well and it is hard to cope with but sometimes it's best to take a rest from revision and let your mind breathe. Your nearly there, don't loose hope your future self will thank you for that. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great in your GCSES.
posting 3 days later in hindsight. I took all your advice including the pomodoro technique and I had a huge turning point eventually where I took a decent break, relaxed and had fun for a bit. I'm now back on the grind, putting in another odd 5 hours a day completely unaffected this time because I started making sure to do some kind of exercise for at least an hour each day, in combination with doing a 2:1 revision to relaxation time. I've found that this has worked wonders, and I'm now getting a lot more work done, and I'm feeling more hopeful for the exams. Again, thanks a lot <3
mbxxw23
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by waterenjoyer)
posting 3 days later in hindsight. I took all your advice including the pomodoro technique and I had a huge turning point eventually where I took a decent break, relaxed and had fun for a bit. I'm now back on the grind, putting in another odd 5 hours a day completely unaffected this time because I started making sure to do some kind of exercise for at least an hour each day, in combination with doing a 2:1 revision to relaxation time. I've found that this has worked wonders, and I'm now getting a lot more work done, and I'm feeling more hopeful for the exams. Again, thanks a lot <3
Anytime gl on your exams!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
32.86%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (32)
45.71%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.43%

Watched Threads