A level options

Watch this thread
AlfieA
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'n in year 11 (UK) and am doing my GCSE's but need to confirm A level options soon and I'm struggling to pick. I want to take 4 A levels but don't want to do 4 'heavy' A levels. I want to do 3 'heavy' A levels and a more chill one. However, I've currently got 4 options I am thinking about taking for the 'heavy' A levels. They are;
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Comp sci

I am trying to decide on 3 of the 4 listed above and trying to pick a forth, more chill A level. Can anyone who has done the above give recommendations or advice as well as give some suggestions as what to do for the forth?

I am also doing Additional Maths right now so I know that I definitely want to do Maths.

Edit: Thanks for all the feedback! I am now thinking about doing Maths, Further Maths and Comp Sci. To answer some questions, I am think about doing 4 A-Levels because the college I am going to has a GATE (Gifted Able And Talented) Programme which I'm really hoping I get on. It says that on the programme there is a 4th A-Level opportunity which I don't know if it is compulsory if you accept being on the programme. I don't think it is compulsory but I want to have an option prepared just in case and if I get offered a spot I want to take it because they help you apply for top uni's which I'm aiming towards.
Last edited by AlfieA; 1 month ago
_Robyn_
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I would just take physics, maths and comp sci. I don't know the course of further maths but you can always ask to get given further maths work too.
Skiwi
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AlfieA)
I'n in year 11 (UK) and am doing my GCSE's but need to confirm A level options soon and I'm struggling to pick. I want to take 4 A levels but don't want to do 4 'heavy' A levels. I want to do 3 'heavy' A levels and a more chill one. However, I've currently got 4 options I am thinking about taking for the 'heavy' A levels. They are;
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Comp sci

I am trying to decide on 3 of the 4 listed above and trying to pick a forth, more chill A level. Can anyone who has done the above give recommendations or advice as well as give some suggestions as what to do for the forth?

I am also doing Additional Maths right now so I know that I definitely want to do Maths.
Why do you want to do 4? If there isn't four subjects you really want to take and are just doing 4 for the sake of doing 4 then i would say just pick 3.

Out of those 4 subjects, i wouldn't say comp sci is a heavy subject so you have what you want there with the 3 hard 1 easy. I would also argue maths is a chill subject if you cope well with FM as it makes most of the pure content pretty easy.

You don't need comp sci for any degree, a-level physics is only required for physics and most engineering courses. Further maths is very helpful if you intend to apply to 'top unis' for most stem subjects.
ll ACR ll
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Only do Further maths if you have passion for maths and you aim to do some sort of undergraduate study that involves a lot of maths. I am doing maths, Physics, Further maths and computer science because In our school, you must do four A-levels if you are taking further maths. You don't (unless they tell you to) need to do a 4th A-level as your top 3 A-levels are going to be picked anyway (in most systems).

There is no such thing as a "chilled A-level" (learn that, else your grades will fall from my experience).

Physics is harder than further maths (from experience) but it is at least more interesting than further maths (you can still be motivated while studying it).

I don't know if this would help, but I wanted to do maths, physics, history and further maths. You could also do maths, cs, history and philosophy (kinda regret not doing it now because my teacher for CS can't teach and I had to study it by myself)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise