Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rate your school out of 10 Watch

• View Poll Results: Rate your school (state only)
    10- I love it, I prefer being at school than at home
    6.49%
    9- Its fantastic, I feel really at home, and if I got the oppurtunity to go to a private school I would not take it
    17.53%
    8- Its great, but of course has some room for improvement
    22.08%
    7- its ok, has lots of good things about it, but others let it down
    18.83%
    6- meh.
    9.09%
    5- neither good nor bad
    2.60%
    4- below expectation
    5.84%
    3- pretty bad
    11.69%
    2- poor
    1.95%
    1- CRAP!!!!!!
    1.30%
    0- This school will traumatize me for the rest of my life. I will have flashbacks of my time here.
    2.60%

ReputationRep:
    About a year ago i would have said 9 or 10, no question, but now i really dislike my school. I'm discovering sides to people i never saw before, i feel as if i'm outgrowing it and all the chavs in it, i want a much more free environment, which the school cannot offer.

Some teachers are really excellent, but then there's the ones who make you question the value of education.

The school itself is massive, huge, and it's pretty decadent if i'm honest, although i don't really have anything to compare it to.

The main con against the school though is the massive amounts of chavs, us, "normal" people are outnumbered about 10-1. Casing point; some year 8 chavs literally followed me to my tutor because i told them to go away when they tripped my mate up, its ridiculous.

Rant over/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orwell)
    About a year ago i would have said 9 or 10, no question, but now i really dislike my school. I'm discovering sides to people i never saw before, i feel as if i'm outgrowing it and all the chavs in it, i want a much more free environment, which the school cannot offer.

Some teachers are really excellent, but then there's the ones who make you question the value of education.

The school itself is massive, huge, and it's pretty decadent if i'm honest, although i don't really have anything to compare it to.

The main con against the school though is the massive amounts of chavs, us, "normal" people are outnumbered about 10-1. Casing point; some year 8 chavs literally followed me to my tutor because i told them to go away when they tripped my mate up, its ridiculous.

Rant over/
    We don't have chavs at our school because they all go to the school on the other side of the bridge

ReputationRep:
    I gave my school a 3/10 because I didn't want to be mean. The teachers are crap and don't care about you and the classrooms are dirty and old. The only good thing is that almost all my friends go there. Oh, and food is cheap!

ReputationRep:
    I actually loved my secondary school - the teachers were brilliant, and the school offered us all the opportunities that they could - for example we had houses, so 6th formers were given so much opportunity to get invovled with that; and because the 6th form were so good at that, the rest of the school had so many events etc organised. There was just a really nice atmosphere, and I wouldn't have good to a private even if one had been offered to me on a plate. I gave mine a 9/10, purely because I don't think that it is that normal to feel more at home at school than at home, unless you go to boarding school

ReputationRep:
    Year 12 I would have said like 9.5 (no-one can truly say they rather be at school than at home lol) but the fact that
    * My English class was split this year by accident and the school couldn't be bothered to sort out their mistake
    * So I hate my English class now...I got put in the one that was supposed to be split beause they don't work well together
    * My lovely lovely English teacher from last year is now on maternity leave
    * So now I've only got one nice English teacher instead of two
    * The person to replace her is awful...niceish as a person but her lessons are terrible
    * My History teacher has now come back off maternity leave and her cover was actually amazing and I miss her
    * Our debating coach left and now the person in charge is my new English teacher
    * Basically of the 3 people I trusted to go to for help with stress/personal issues, only 1 is left this year which sucks a bit
    * UCAS is stressful and school isn't helping!
    * Teachers keep cancelling lessons without telling us [grrrrr history this happens too often] so I'll have say a lesson period 2&3 and then history 7&8 and nothing in between, turn up to the room only to find a note on the board saying "Mr so-and-so isn't here today" meaning that I've wasted 5 extra hours in school when I could have gone home at break (10.50 am)

But there are some good things:
    * Being in year 13 means that you get treated like an adult...you don't get patronised at all
    * Lots and lots of frees
    * The one English teacher I have left over from last year is really lovely and has helped me so much with selecting written work to send off etc
    * Teachers seem to worship the ground I walk on right now...parents evening last week was actually an enjoyable experience :p:
    * The canteen is slowly but steadily improving
    * as is the common room
    * I've got 2 offers already which I'm happy about, as is my school
    * No uniform and they're not enforcing the dress code
    * I've got really good friends there
    * I'm doing subjects I really love
    * and I'm doing well at them
    * I love the house system...so much fun!

ReputationRep:
    7/10 out of 10, its a great college with great teachers but some of the teachers I've met are such ***** :yep:

ReputationRep:
    9- but private so not valid

ReputationRep:
    state school = valid
    i put 9, it might be the fact that i actually like studying and i like seeing my friends and i don't get along at home much, but i like my school anyway, mainly cos of the people there, its not like its built modern or anything, the 6 form common room is tiny that me and my freinds hang out in the study rooms, i don't think phycial facilaties are important at all, just the lessons and the poeple there...

ReputationRep:
    My school is quite ugly. It begins at 740AM which means I barely function properly in the first few lessons. And PE is compulsory, which is the worst thing of all, except I think we can get away with skiving more now...Oh no, the food is the worst thing of all (Sodexo). Apparently they serve prison food.

Many of our teachers are very funny though (in quite an eccentric way). It's nearly like a criteria in employment or something

Uh I'd rate it 7..................? My school's meant to be academically v good>_>

ReputationRep:
    Seven. We are a very good school, and get consistently high exam results, however Aberdeen City Council is absolutely broke, and so are we! Half our school is made of portakabins; it's either boiling or freezing and has no air conditioning for the former; drips in the ceiling are not going to be repaired because we move to a new building in TWO YEARS; there's not enough teachers, so different qualifications for the same subject have to share a class and teacher and there's not enough sheets, booklets or textbooks to go round. The main problems are financial, obviously, all our teachers are great

ReputationRep:
    i picked 9/10 for my college. yesterday i heard people at the open day commenting about how ethusiastic i was i got so into selling the college, not only maths, but bloody everything! my face hurt from smiling
    uh, and 9/10 before you wouldn't go to a private school instead? i wouldn't go to a private school unless like, my college was a mud hut with no teachers on the middle of the M5

ReputationRep:
    Well, it depends on the year really. So I'll start from the beginning. It's a 14+ state school (not quite a grammar but still good).

Year 10 - 7/10
    - Had very few friends.
    - Found it relatively easy to settle in.
    - I was really overweight so I hated their uniform.
    - My History teacher was amazing.
    - Went on a fantastic Geography trip to Italy.
    - Compared to nowadays it wasn't that crowded.
    - Could just **** about in every lesson but History (which was an A level)
    - PE had to be done off site.

Year 11 - 6/10
    - Pretty much the same only lessons began to get very disjointed.

Year 12 - 9/10
    - Absolutely brilliant.
    - Lost all my weight.
    - Did subjects I wanted to do.
    - Another Geography trip.
    - Frees.
    - No uniform.
    - Parties.

Year 13 - 9/10 so far
    - Being top of the school is fantastic.

However, it's very crowded and I'm sure they just let any old bum carry on after ASs (several with DDUU).

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm. I would probably rate it at about 7/10. It's not bad, but it's just soooooo booooooooooooooorrrrrrringggggg now. The lower years used to be so 'jkes'

ReputationRep:
    10!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnitJanet)
    Seven. We are a very good school, and get consistently high exam results, however Aberdeen City Council is absolutely broke, and so are we! Half our school is made of portakabins; it's either boiling or freezing and has no air conditioning for the former; drips in the ceiling are not going to be repaired because we move to a new building in TWO YEARS; there's not enough teachers, so different qualifications for the same subject have to share a class and teacher and there's not enough sheets, booklets or textbooks to go round. The main problems are financial, obviously, all our teachers are great
    I share your pain -

We have around 20 'temporary' huts which were built in 1950. Everytime it rains slightly higher than average the hall fills up with sewage (to properly repair it they have to knock the building down), when there are exams on there is no canteen, and nowhere to do pe if it rains. The music and maths blocks are so full that there are lessons for both going on in other random rooms elsewhere in the school (I have 4 maths rooms). The council keeps promising us a new sports centre (with changing rooms where it is safe to get changed, gym, dance hall) along with complete demolishment of temporary huts which will be replacedwith: a 6 room extension to the art/music block, a 8 room extension to maths and a proper 6th form centre which should ease some pressure away from the over crowding of the school. Also our school field floods every single year along with the tennis courts meaning we are stuck crammed into school and our fire alarm system is faulty to the point it is dangerous. (we had an alarm go off whilst I was in a rehearsal and we didn't hear it due to it not going off in the block. They had to send someone to search for us and if it had been a real fire then heaven only knows what would have happened.

BUT other than that our school is amazing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.