Detached Retina

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Good afternoon all,

I recently had surgery for a detached retina/retinal tear. My operation ended up with me having a Scleral Buckle silicone sponge being fitted to the back of my eye ball.
In the previous weeks to my operation, I experienced ‘static floaters’ to the upper area of my vision - this was noted during the appointments I had with hospital ophthalmologists.

Nearly two weeks post surgery, I have the same static floaters in the same area of my vision. Is this to be expected? I was told that floaters may never go due to scarring etc - but just asking for anyone else’s experiences they may have had with this surgery/post surgery.

I’ve got further appointments booked in the next week or two; so whilst I am not substituting this for medical advice - I’m purely here seeking experiences from others.

Thank you
R4V
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Good afternoon all,

I recently had surgery for a detached retina/retinal tear. My operation ended up with me having a Scleral Buckle silicone sponge being fitted to the back of my eye ball.
In the previous weeks to my operation, I experienced ‘static floaters’ to the upper area of my vision - this was noted during the appointments I had with hospital ophthalmologists.

Nearly two weeks post surgery, I have the same static floaters in the same area of my vision. Is this to be expected? I was told that floaters may never go due to scarring etc - but just asking for anyone else’s experiences they may have had with this surgery/post surgery.

I’ve got further appointments booked in the next week or two; so whilst I am not substituting this for medical advice - I’m purely here seeking experiences from others.

Thank you
My dad had that operation a few years back. Yes it’s completely normal it just takes a while to heal
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Sometimes it takes time for them to go away, sometimes they stay forever due to tissue damage and scaring but you will notice them less. The surgery was to stop the tearing process and save your eye and not to repair the vision damage from the tear. There are some treatments that may reduce the floaters but they aren't popular and not really necessary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (7)
41.18%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
23.53%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.76%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
17.65%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads