how hard is further maths

Watch this thread
kayeem
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I don’t find maths (at gcse) difficult but it just takes me a bit of time for it to click, so would studying fm be more difficult as u have to rush through the content of a level maths and then of fm? I’m willing to put in lots of work for it if necessary but averagely how much would you have to do to make sure you really understand it (if you’re not the type of person to instantly click with concepts)
kk15405
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by kayeem)
I don’t find maths (at gcse) difficult but it just takes me a bit of time for it to click, so would studying fm be more difficult as u have to rush through the content of a level maths and then of fm? I’m willing to put in lots of work for it if necessary but averagely how much would you have to do to make sure you really understand it (if you’re not the type of person to instantly click with concepts)
ofc its gonna be harder than gcse, but id say go for it if you get the grades and if you find it overwhelmingly hard then drop the subject
orangejuze
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i take fm, if you are unsure whether you will stick w it or not pick four then drop whichever one you find hardest, it is a jump from gcse normal maths but not impossible
kayeem
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by orangejuze)
i take fm, if you are unsure whether you will stick w it or not pick four then drop whichever one you find hardest, it is a jump from gcse normal maths but not impossible
thanks for the quick response! i was going to take it as a 4th but i feel like i wouldn’t want to drop any subject if I had 4 even if I got a bit overwhelmed from it so I would just force myself to do it? How fast do you learn regular maths in y12 in order to start fm?
orangejuze
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
thanks for the quick response! i was going to take it as a 4th but i feel like i wouldn’t want to drop any subject if I had 4 even if I got a bit overwhelmed from it so I would just force myself to do it? How fast do you learn regular maths in y12 in order to start fm?
hi! well year 12 maths surprisingly is quite unrelated to further, you learn your typical graphs, polynomial division index laws etc and everything that is actually built off of gcse just in more detail in normal maths. but in further maths you learn brand new concepts if you didn’t study gcse further maths, all of which are strange at first but easy once you practice practice. you start fm and normal maths at the same time but in the past two years, you’ve only ever seen the content really cross paths at the end of year 12/year 13 also year 12 further mechanics and statistics if you do that makes year 13 normal mechanics and normal statistics easier
juicygcse
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
You go a lot quicker through the A-level content if your school does A-level maths in one year then FM the next - my school started the further maths syllabus a fair few weeks ago now. I'd say it depends what topics at GCSE took you a long time to grasp - if it's histograms or something then it's not that big of a deal, if it's algebra or trigonometry then that's more concerning. It's probably better to start it and drop it, but be realistic with yourself and drop it quickly if you're struggling because it only gets harder and you don't want to risk not understanding the normal maths content
rebelw
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
it's really not that hard in itself, but the ppl who do it tend to be some of the smartest in school so classes get competitive and move fast
kayeem
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by juicygcse)
You go a lot quicker through the A-level content if your school does A-level maths in one year then FM the next - my school started the further maths syllabus a fair few weeks ago now. I'd say it depends what topics at GCSE took you a long time to grasp - if it's histograms or something then it's not that big of a deal, if it's algebra or trigonometry then that's more concerning. It's probably better to start it and drop it, but be realistic with yourself and drop it quickly if you're struggling because it only gets harder and you don't want to risk not understanding the normal maths content
thanks! would dropping it disadvantage me for uni as I would only then have 3 a levels? Or is it not a problem as long as I absolutely don’t mess it up
juicygcse
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
thanks! would dropping it disadvantage me for uni as I would only then have 3 a levels? Or is it not a problem as long as I absolutely don’t mess it up
most people only have three A-levels, so no it won't disadvantage you. Besides, AAA is always better than ABBB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads