Enhanced DBS Check for Imperial Medicine

Watch this thread
dbsissuesimperia
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Imperial requires an enhanced DBS check before starting their Medicine course.
I'm not sure i'll pass it because of what happened in 2015. I'll post the details below. It's not very nice, so please be aware of any potential triggers (abuse).

1) In Y8, when I was 12 years old, my Mother started physically abusing me whenever she was angry with me.
2) Eventually, I started hitting her back whenever she hit me first - I never hit her first, at all.
3) One day she gave me a nosebleed because I used the house-phone and then I kicked her, after which she called my Uncle.
4) They then called the Police on me.
5) When the police arrived, she said I had also previously held a knife to her throat (I literally never did that.)
6) The two officers then placed me under arrest for assault (I don't think it was with assault with a deadly weapon). I still, to this day, do not understand why they did that because there was no proof I did that, or even instigated basic assault (because I literally did not - every-time I hit her was in retaliation to get her to stop).
7) My mother didn't press charges, and the police officers made sure I said "no comment" as to absolve me at that point and release me (same day).
8) When taking my fingerprints, one of the officers had said that it wouldn't appear on my record as I had never been arrested before.

Apparently, an enhanced DBS may show things like that, despite nothing coming of it...
Am I screwed? I literally didn't do the thing that made them place me under arrest, and only hit back in retaliation, but the arresting officers only listened to my Mother and I never had the chance to say my side because they made me say "no comment" to avoid going further (court etc).
Muttly
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
** You are not 'screwed' no - not at all and all is well - I hope you can chill out

Ordinarily if you are arrested for a violent or criminal offence this information would be disclosed by the police on the enhanced DBS if they reasonably believe that it is relevant to the post you have applied for.

However :- There is a category called 'filtered information' and because the incidents you list happened so long ago as a juvenile it should not be deemed relevant

All this happened in 2015 and it should not show up on your enhanced DBS - as the information held from Juvenile records is 'filtered information'

Cautions are filtered after 2 years for under 18’s and after 6 years for adults.

Convictions are filtered after 5.5 years for under 18’s and after 11 years for adults.

So the fact that you were arrested but not charged should still be classed as 'filtered' information.

Have a look on the Govt web sites if you need anymore info

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...iltering-guide

Well done for getting accepted for medicine (G*d help you!) and the very best of luck going forward
dbsissuesimperia
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttly)
** You are not 'screwed' no - not at all and all is well - I hope you can chill out

Ordinarily if you are arrested for a violent or criminal offence this information would be disclosed by the police on the enhanced DBS if they reasonably believe that it is relevant to the post you have applied for.

However :- There is a category called 'filtered information' and because the incidents you list happened so long ago as a juvenile it should not be deemed relevant

All this happened in 2015 and it should not show up on your enhanced DBS - as the information held from Juvenile records is 'filtered information'

Cautions are filtered after 2 years for under 18’s and after 6 years for adults.

Convictions are filtered after 5.5 years for under 18’s and after 11 years for adults.

So the fact that you were arrested but not charged should still be classed as 'filtered' information.

Have a look on the Govt web sites if you need anymore info

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...iltering-guide

Well done for getting accepted for medicine (G*d help you!) and the very best of luck going forward
Oh, I see. Thank you so much for that clarification!! I was so worried haha. Thank you and take care
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Also, a positive DBS doesn't automatically mean a rejection - you'd have to speak to Imperial about what happened and they'd come to a decison based on each case's merits (as per https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...icy---2021.pdf)

However, if there's any chance it could come up, I'd tell Imperial about it as soon as possible. Being seen to withhold the information is a much bigger issue as far as I can see.
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Also, a positive DBS doesn't automatically mean a rejection - you'd have to speak to Imperial about what happened and they'd come to a decison based on each case's merits (as per https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...icy---2021.pdf)

However, if there's any chance it could come up, I'd tell Imperial about it as soon as possible. Being seen to withhold the information is a much bigger issue as far as I can see.
Although "failing" a DBS has massive implications beyond med school - no point qualifying and finding you cannot work!
NB - general comment, not specific to this situation!
becausethenight
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Although "failing" a DBS has massive implications beyond med school - no point qualifying and finding you cannot work!
NB - general comment, not specific to this situation!
Oof, I didn’t realise - what’s the point of the med school admitting you, in that case…?
GANFYD
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Oof, I didn’t realise - what’s the point of the med school admitting you, in that case…?
I think they always caveat it that they do not make decisions re employment?
becausethenight
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
I think they always caveat it that they do not make decisions re employment?
Would there be any way to find out about the employment decision before starting med school? Probably relevant to the OP…
GANFYD
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Would there be any way to find out about the employment decision before starting med school? Probably relevant to the OP…
It’s primarily the GMC, and not sure about that.
Most employers do not have enough choices to be choosy about someone trained and GMC approved. Most med schools have a policy about past convictions.
Not sure OP will have any issues, as not cautioned or convicted, so may not get to the yes/no filtering stage
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
30.23%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (16)
37.21%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.65%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.65%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (3)
6.98%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
13.95%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.33%

Watched Threads