Should I take A-Level Maths instead of Psychology?

Watch this thread
lilacluster
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
For my A-Levels, I initially chose Bio, Chem and Psychology. However, now I'm having second thoughts about Psychology as many uni courses value those with Maths A-level as well as a science. But since I'm predicted to get a grade 7 in GCSE maths, would it be wise for me to take maths at A-Levels.
modulus123
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I’m someone who does Biology ,Chemistry and Maths. I would say that you should definitely look at different Uni pages to see if that is actually true. It entirely depends on what degrees you’re considering. For example, the course I’m applying for, does not require Maths at a lot of universities. If you have a genuine interest in Maths, pursue it if you think it’ll help you. But if you don’t, it’ll be a lot harder to revise and you may be better off picking Psychology. You’d probably be more likely to get a higher grade in Psychology if you think Maths is a burden. At the end of the day, I’d recommend doing some research into specific courses, as STEM subjects do open a lot of doors. With a 7, you can definitely do well but I imagine it might take more effort to do well than with your other subjects
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lilacluster)
For my A-Levels, I initially chose Bio, Chem and Psychology. However, now I'm having second thoughts about Psychology as many uni courses value those with Maths A-level as well as a science. But since I'm predicted to get a grade 7 in GCSE maths, would it be wise for me to take maths at A-Levels.
Hi lilacluster,

I think it's down to personal preference really, and it also depends what kind of course you're hoping to do in the future? I think in some circumstances, grades outweigh the subject. Go for whichever A-Level you think you're more likely to enjoy and excel in, as long as it still keeps your options open. When you're doing your A-Levels, it's much easier to get through them when you're doing subject you enjoy, and that you're confident in.

All the best!
- Rebecca, 3rd Year Psychology Student
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
If you think you might want to study a degree for which A level maths is required or recommended, you should study maths. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

(If you really don't know what you want to study at all, maths might be a better option, simply because there are no degrees for which A level psychology is required, not even psychology degrees, so it will keep more doors open for you. But that may well be outweighed by not enjoying maths, or not being as good at it.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (56)
26.17%
As I expected (68)
31.78%
Harder (82)
38.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.74%

Watched Threads