Turn on thread page Beta

Larger cars and insurance. watch

ReputationRep:
    Im looking for a first car. Ideally i would like a bigger car, not really into corsa's and the like. What bigger cars tend to be cheapest for insurance purposes? Would like something fairly reliable but i'm able to do servicing and some repairs myself.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Get an old mondao

ReputationRep:
    Get some quotes for cars you like from an online form thinggy, then you can see for yourself. It depends how big you want to go. Focus/Megan sized? BMW 3 series? 4x4?

ReputationRep:
    How big are you talking?
    How old are you?
    Where do you live?
    How long have you held your license?

ReputationRep:
    A Rover 75 is a cheap car to insure.

ReputationRep:
    Mondeo, cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to fix (apart from the 2ltr tdci if it has an injector failure) cheap to insure, bags of room, nice car. Job done.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a Citroen Xantia 1.9TD for the last year, can be cheap as chips to insure if you look around, get a good example for a a few hundred quid.
    The crazy liquid suspension puts people off, as its 'different' but its easy to maintain plus you've got the added factor of raising the car up and down if the need arises plus its uber comfortable.
    You can also save money by chucking in a bit of vegetable oil from a cheap supermarket or wholesaler for cheaper motoring!

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally go for a Mondeo 1.6 , a 1997-2000 one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syntax Terrier)
    A Rover 75 is a cheap car to insure.
    but they break down a lot too! maybe go for the 45 or the 400, or a 600 if you can find one.

(Original post by jam_man)
    I've had a Citroen Xantia 1.9TD for the last year, can be cheap as chips to insure if you look around, get a good example for a a few hundred quid.
    The crazy liquid suspension puts people off, as its 'different' but its easy to maintain plus you've got the added factor of raising the car up and down if the need arises plus its uber comfortable.
    You can also save money by chucking in a bit of vegetable oil from a cheap supermarket or wholesaler for cheaper motoring!
    i love playing with the suspension on these. a pointless novelty. i personally wouldn't go for a citroen though....

how about an old style vectra? not the new ones that cost a bomb in tax, but the model before? or even an astra....
    if i were going to get a saloon i'd either get a vectra, or a mistubishi lancer. NOT AN EVO, just a bog standard lancer. lovely to drive, never break down, good on insurance and tax...

ReputationRep:
    I have a 1998 Megane 1.6. Low insurance, high tax (£185 a year because it's in the higher band of the two for older vehicles), cheap to buy. Practical, comfy and very safe. Very fuel-efficient and quick too. Expect bits to drop off every few yards.

ReputationRep:
    Rover P6 would be my choice.
    Or, a Triumph 2000 / 2500

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Mondeo, cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to fix (apart from the 2ltr tdci if it has an injector failure) cheap to insure, bags of room, nice car. Job done.
    Any car will be expensive to fix if it has an injector failiour. Full set of new injectors for top end cars can be upwards of 2 grand.

ReputationRep:
    Focus/Astra give me some of the cheapest quotes on insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Any car will be expensive to fix if it has an injector failiour. Full set of new injectors for top end cars can be upwards of 2 grand.
    A pair of SU carbs is £300!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    how about an old style vectra? not the new ones that cost a bomb in tax, but the model before? or even an astra....
    if i were going to get a saloon i'd either get a vectra, or a mistubishi lancer. NOT AN EVO, just a bog standard lancer. lovely to drive, never break down, good on insurance and tax...
    I second the vectra/astra! Good solid cars!

ReputationRep:
    Citroen Xantias are pretty cheap I think.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.