What are the pros and cons of University tuition fees (25 marks)

Watch this thread
np1908
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
What points would you make and evaluation?
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by np1908)
What points would you make and evaluation?
What do you think?
TSR can guide you, but can't tell you what to write. Maybe start by making a bullet point list of the pros and cons. What are your thoughts so far?
np1908
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by booklover1313)
What do you think?
TSR can guide you, but can't tell you what to write. Maybe start by making a bullet point list of the pros and cons. What are your thoughts so far?
Against tuition fees
It would incentivise more people to go to university especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds which would ultimately allow them to access high income jobs, this reduces income inequality.
Evaluation
It would incur a high opportunity cost for the government meaning that they would have less to spend on state schools in deprived areas so it could lead to unintended consequences.
For tuition fees
If there are fees Universities would need to attract more students, this would mean that they would invest more in facilities and research to gain a higher position on ranking tables, this would lead to positive externalities if it lead to research break through (maybe I could talk about Oxford and the covid-19 vaccine???)
Evaluation
I'm not too sure about this one but perhaps Universities may see a fall in demand due to people not wanting to get into debt.

But yeah that's what I'm thinking about, thoughts????
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Against tuition fees
It would incentivise more people to go to university especially those from disadvantaged backgrounds which would ultimately allow them to access high income jobs, this reduces income inequality.
Evaluation
It would incur a high opportunity cost for the government meaning that they would have less to spend on state schools in deprived areas so it could lead to unintended consequences.
For tuition fees
If there are fees Universities would need to attract more students, this would mean that they would invest more in facilities and research to gain a higher position on ranking tables, this would lead to positive externalities if it lead to research break through (maybe I could talk about Oxford and the covid-19 vaccine???)
Evaluation
I'm not too sure about this one but perhaps Universities may see a fall in demand due to people not wanting to get into debt.

That looks really good!
Maybe other things to think about are:
- is it fair for taxpayers to be paying for uni fees when not everyone goes (whereas everyone goes to school)
- do fees allow for unis to be better funded
- where would money for the government to pay fees come from? Would taxes go up or would there be cuts in other areas? - you mentioned spending less on state schools, but the money could come from elsewhere
- when tuition fees were increased, what was the effect on the demographic of students going to university? Has the % of people from deprived areas going on to university changed?
CreamOfYourCrop
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Against tuition fees
Evaluation
For tuition fees
Evaluation

The problem with more people going to uni is it dilutes the worth of a degree , if everyone has one it became the new status quo this making a degree in essence worthless.
For example , jobs like McDonald’s nowadays are asking for a degree . Back in the day you’d of laughed at them to their face for suggesting something so stupid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (23)
26.44%
As I expected (27)
31.03%
Harder (31)
35.63%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.9%

Watched Threads