The Student Room Group

KCL vs Coventry mental health nursing msc

thoughts? opinions? facts?

i have offers for both but im cov local so if i go london ill have to move out, stay at cov i can live with my mum. huge difference in fees too because im cov alumni. i don't really know what to do so looking for any advice or thoughts or facts or anything to help me decide.
Original post by hanaxogrunge

thoughts? opinions? facts?

i have offers for both but im cov local so if i go london ill have to move out, stay at cov i can live with my mum. huge difference in fees too because im cov alumni. i don't really know what to do so looking for any advice or thoughts or facts or anything to help me decide.

Info on loans for healthcare students, even as 2nd degree: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-bursary-reform/nhs-bursary-reform

In the long run... where you do your nursing degree doesn't really matter.
- NMC registration? They only want you to have passed a course they've accredited. It doesn't matter whether you've only just scraped a pass or got full marks.
- Employers? They care about:
- Have you interviewed well enough?
- Have you got proof of your NMC registration?
- Have you got proof of passing your nursing degree? (and they literally don't care where from!)
- Patients? Are you competent as a nurse? Same goes for your colleagues. Your competence post qualifying is more important than where you did your nursing degree and what grade you got.

What you need to ask yourself is:
- which university do you like more?
- which course appeals more?
- do you want to move to London, or stay in Coventry? (and, how much does the difference in fees bother you?)
- how far would you have to travel to placements, and how easy/difficult would it be to get there, including for 7am-730am starts and finishing after 8pm for day shifts, or for nights, 7 days a week?
Original post by Emily_B
Info on loans for healthcare students, even as 2nd degree: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-bursary-reform/nhs-bursary-reform

In the long run... where you do your nursing degree doesn't really matter.
- NMC registration? They only want you to have passed a course they've accredited. It doesn't matter whether you've only just scraped a pass or got full marks.
- Employers? They care about:
- Have you interviewed well enough?
- Have you got proof of your NMC registration?
- Have you got proof of passing your nursing degree? (and they literally don't care where from!)
- Patients? Are you competent as a nurse? Same goes for your colleagues. Your competence post qualifying is more important than where you did your nursing degree and what grade you got.

What you need to ask yourself is:
- which university do you like more?
- which course appeals more?
- do you want to move to London, or stay in Coventry? (and, how much does the difference in fees bother you?)
- how far would you have to travel to placements, and how easy/difficult would it be to get there, including for 7am-730am starts and finishing after 8pm for day shifts, or for nights, 7 days a week?

thank you so much honestly for all of that. its provided a lot of clarity.

in terms of the course the main difference is the modules.

kings has these four modules

year 1
The Practice of Mental Health Nursing 1 (45 credits)
The Practice of Mental Health Nursing 2 (45 credits)

year 2
Transition to Registrant (45 credits)
Professional Practice Dissertation (45 credits)

in comparison cov has these five hundred lmfaoo

year 1

Research and Evidence-Informed Nursing Practice - 20 credits
Health Assessment in Nursing - 10 credits
Clinical Decision-making in Mental Health Nursing - 10 credits
Therapeutic Interventions in Mental Health Nursing - 10 credits
Understanding Nursing Practice: Practice 1 - 20 credits
Assessment, Delivery and Evaluation: Practice 2 - 10 credits

year 2
Coordinating Complex Care in Mental Health Nursing - 20 credits
Leading and Creating Organisational Health and Wellbeing (CMI module) - 10 credits
Ethical, Legal Decision-making in Nursing - 10 credits
Independent Project Service Improvement - 30 credits
Complex Care Planning Across the Lifespan: Practice 3 - 10 credits
Coordinating Care and Becoming the Autonomous Practitioner: Practice 4 - 20 credits

i would have assumed that each course would be the same but actually theres a huge difference in the modules that you get taught and the quantity. im not entirely sure whether your a nursing student, graduate or anything so ignore me if this is completely out of your scope. im just not sure which is better, i mean at cov we have so many modules for my current course (psych) which means more coursework BUT in terms of degree classification if you f*ck up one, its not the end of the world. with kings you have to do well in every single module so theres no room for failure.

tbh im just very confused.
Reply 3

year 1

year 2

year 1

year 2
Leading and Creating Organisational Health and Wellbeing (CMI module) - 10 credits
Coordinating Care and Becoming the Autonomous Practitioner: Practice 4 - 20 credits

i would have assumed that each course would be the same but actually theres a huge difference in the modules that you get taught and the quantity. im not entirely sure whether your a nursing student, graduate or anything so ignore me if this is completely out of your scope. im just not sure which is better, i mean at cov we have so many modules for my current course (psych) which means more coursework BUT in terms of degree classification if you f*ck up one, its not the end of the world. with kings you have to do well in every single module so theres no room for failure.

I wouldn't be too bothered about the number of modules at Kings v Coventry. The fact is a lot of higher ranked universities do not feel the need to list every single module or topic on their course structure. I would assume for instance, 'The Practice of mental Health Nursing' contains all the the things listed by Coventry if not more, it's a total of 90 credits 45 each! whereas Coventry's adds up to 80credits?? might not be that significant but again look further into this. Inspite of having a gazillion 'modules' a lot of which seem more like topics, they actually are less credits than Kings. The same applies to year 2. It might not be significant in the grand scheme of things but thought I'd draw your attention to it. Good luck!
Original post by Makro
I wouldn't be too bothered about the number of modules at Kings v Coventry. The fact is a lot of higher ranked universities do not feel the need to list every single module or topic on their course structure. I would assume for instance, 'The Practice of mental Health Nursing' contains all the the things listed by Coventry if not more, it's a total of 90 credits 45 each! whereas Coventry's adds up to 80credits?? might not be that significant but again look further into this. Inspite of having a gazillion 'modules' a lot of which seem more like topics, they actually are less credits than Kings. The same applies to year 2. It might not be significant in the grand scheme of things but thought I'd draw your attention to it. Good luck!

thank you!!
its just such a stark difference!! 4 vs 12 haha but what you say makes total sense

year 1

year 2

year 1

year 2

I'm a registered nurse.

Pre-reg masters programmes are a pretty new thing. However, I would expect masters programmes to have the same number of credits - as already pointed out, the advertised lists aren't the same numbers of credits.

Just bear in mind that, whichever one you go to, you'll still have to pass every module (even if you mess one up and only just pass!)

Quick Reply

Latest