break cause, can i give a written notice before this period? Watch

yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
okay need a bit of help.

my friends and i signed a 1 year contract with 8 months break clause.

when speaking to the agent we said we only plan on staying there for 8 months. he said okay, and wrote it down as a break clause.

now after searching on the net, i find out we have to give a 2 months written notice to say we are leaving AFTER THE BREAK CLAUSE.

which means its technically a 10 month contract but 8 months?!

i thought i could give a 2 months notice after 6 months and leave exactly on 8 months (when the break clause finishes)??
mja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What exactly does your tenancy agreement say? It may be that you are misinterpreting the legal effect of the form of words used.

Certainly, in a 12 month tenancy agreement, a break clause allowing you to give 2 months notice after 6 months is far more usual than one requiring two months notice after 8 months.
yeahyeahyeahs
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
well they changed the contract so it was only 8 month break clause instead of 6.

so we cant leave the property till after 10 months?
mja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What do you mean "they changed it"? The contract which is binding on you is the one that you signed - did you sign a contract which only allowed a break after 10 months? If you did, then yes, you have to keep paying rent (and meeting any other obligations of the lease) until the 10 months it up.

But the reason I query the wording is that the form of words commonly used for break clauses usually talks about the minimum period including the notice, then specifies the notice (so for an 8 month break, 8 months and 2 months). Often people misinterpret this as meaning 2 months notice after 8 months ie 10 months in total.

So it would be helpful to know what exactly the relevant clause says, in the agreement you signed.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.69%
No (549)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise