Churches in Durham

Watch this thread
hazel42
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone Just wanted to reach out and see if I can get any opinions on churches in Durham. I've firmed an offer for a course starting this September, and because I'm a Christian, I'll want to find a new church whilst I'm away at uni. If anyone has any advice/ is able to share what they're planning on doing, I'd find it super helpful!
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hazel42)
Hi everyone Just wanted to reach out and see if I can get any opinions on churches in Durham. I've firmed an offer for a course starting this September, and because I'm a Christian, I'll want to find a new church whilst I'm away at uni. If anyone has any advice/ is able to share what they're planning on doing, I'd find it super helpful!
Hi there.

XanaXoid may be able to help

Best wishes
Makro
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
@OP what denomination are you?
XanaXoid
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm not hugely informed about churches in durham but I know that each college has a space and some colleges also have regular service. Other then this I know about 5 or 6 churches around the bailey, but I don't know about the denomination of each one. Once in Durham you might want to ask to the Cristian society to point out some churches
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What kind of things are you looking for in a church? I've been to a fair few (and have friends at others) before I settled at my church

I also used this website to find the churches in Durham then found their website to choose which churches I wanted to look at when I got to Durham: https://www.durhamchurches.uk/find
M4 Enigma
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hello! I'm a student attending a church in Newcastle, so don't have much experience with the Durham churches, but the list Lemur14 has provided looks very helpful. I have friends at St Nic's, St Oswald's, King's, Emmanuel and Christchurch.

Here are some other useful links for Christians in Durham:

The Durham Inter-Collegiate Christian Union (affiliated with UCCF)
https://www.facebook.com/diccu

Durham Joint Anglican and Methodist Society (affiliated with SCM)
https://www.facebook.com/Jamsocietydurham/

Durham University Catholic Society
https://www.facebook.com/DurhamUniCathsoc/

There are also opportunities to be involved as Christians in college. Each of the colleges has a Christian Union (CU) that meets for a Bible study once a week. They also run many socials and outreach activities. These CUs are affiliated with the Durham Inter-Collegiate Christian Union, which also runs a weekly meeting. There are also chapel services at many of the colleges. These are Anglican services, but there are plenty of people from other denominations who attend. As chapel clerk at my college, I help to set up and run the three services that we hold a week.

Do let me know if you have any other questions - I would be happy to answer them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads