Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i am doing Bsc Psychology, i like the course but i want to change university at the start of second year. I am currently during my first year, so what do i have to do to change?

Also, i want to change to Southampton and uni near surrounding area(no more than 1.5 hour train), any good suggestions?

+rep for good advice :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in a similar situation to you. I'm doing a BA (Hons) Nursing degree at sheffield hallam and really, really don't like it there and want to transfer to KCL in my second year.

Basically I emailed the admissions officer (the email address will be on the uni website), explained my situation and asked what the possibility of me transferring in the 2nd year would be and how to go about it. They emailed me back the next day explaining what I needed to do.

I have also been to see an educational advisor at my uni Who told me to contact the unis I am interested in transferring to (which i've done), arrange a meeting with my personal tutor and talk to the course leader about the reasons why I want to transfer.

You may need to apply through UCAS again depending on how your university goes about transfers. so sign up to UCAS again just in case.

If you are serious about transferring then talk to as many eople as possible at your current uni, keep them on your side because you are going to need a reference from your personal tutor. Contact the university you want to transfer to either through email or by phone. Have a valid reason for why you want to transfer and try and get good grades in your first year.

I hope this helped a bit. Feel free to ask me anything else and I will try to help

Good luck

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lindsey88)
    I'm currently in a similar situation to you. I'm doing a BA (Hons) Nursing degree at sheffield hallam and really, really don't like it there and want to transfer to KCL in my second year.

Basically I emailed the admissions officer (the email address will be on the uni website), explained my situation and asked what the possibility of me transferring in the 2nd year would be and how to go about it. They emailed me back the next day explaining what I needed to do.

I have also been to see an educational advisor at my uni Who told me to contact the unis I am interested in transferring to (which i've done), arrange a meeting with my personal tutor and talk to the course leader about the reasons why I want to transfer.

You may need to apply through UCAS again depending on how your university goes about transfers. so sign up to UCAS again just in case.

If you are serious about transferring then talk to as many eople as possible at your current uni, keep them on your side because you are going to need a reference from your personal tutor. Contact the university you want to transfer to either through email or by phone. Have a valid reason for why you want to transfer and try and get good grades in your first year.

I hope this helped a bit. Feel free to ask me anything else and I will try to help

Good luck

xxxx
    ty. Lol i have only met my personal tutor once and i don't have many friends here(one of the reasons why i wanna change)

I hated UCAS, do i really have to go through that again? all that registering etc gimme a headache

When is the deadline of application for transferr? do u no?

ReputationRep:
    I know how you feel, I haven't really made any friends here either which is one of the reasons I want to change too.

You really need to contact the unis you want to apply to. King's tol me I have to apply separately - not through UCAS but some unis would expect you to go through UCAS all over again, yes. and if you have a student load you'd have to re-do all of those forms too lol. I know they're awful but I think they're necessary evils if it means you get to be happy in a university for the rest of your course.

As for deadlines, again different unis will have different deadlines. King's is march but if you have to apply through UCAS then it will be january.

I urge you to talk to more people and contact the unis you might transfer to!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same position really, almost no friends here. Switching seems like such an annoyance though.

Edit: Wow, the UCAS deadline really is in January?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure the deadline is january. on your UCAS application (if the uni you want to switch through goes through UCAS for transfers) you have to enter the point of admission which for us would be '2' for year 2. I'm guessing if you are applying through UCAS to transfer then the same deadlines apply for both transfers and first applications. You really would have to contact the uni though.

I'm at sheffield hallam by the way. I'm not sure who you were asking about the uni thing lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overanalytical)
    silverwolfalpha: Place you're at start with an L and end with an R?

I'm in the same position really, almost no friends here. Switching seems like such an annoyance though.

Edit: Wow, the UCAS deadline really is in January?
    It starts with E, ends with X. middle-sse
    IT sucks here, no ones wants to work, all i see are Phd students who do work, i haven't got a good night sleep in ages.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure the deadline is january. on your UCAS application (if the uni you want to switch through goes through UCAS for transfers) you have to enter the point of admission which for us would be '2' for year 2. I'm guessing if you are applying through UCAS to transfer then the same deadlines apply for both transfers and first applications. You really would have to contact the uni though.

I'm at sheffield hallam by the way. I'm not sure who you were asking about the uni thing lol
    u r right, hes talkin about Lancaster(duh,lol)
    portsmouth will gimme a unconditional if i apply to first year(admissions emailed me back)
    I got 4Bs, so i can get into warrick. MY other 2 choices are Southampton and Sussex, they need ABB though, so maybe they will gimme a place.
    You guys know any place between Southampton and Bristol?(good unis which are good for psychology)

BTW Lindsey why don't u like your uni? do you not like partying 4 times a week also? :no:

ReputationRep:

this will cheer you up, watch it all the way, its sure way to get happier.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9E_x3ArCQm8

ReputationRep:
    start from watching 3:20 if u wanna skip first bit, but all of it its funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverwolfalpha)
    u r right, hes talkin about Lancaster(duh,lol)
    portsmouth will gimme a unconditional if i apply to first year(admissions emailed me back)
    I got 4Bs, so i can get into warrick. MY other 2 choices are Southampton and Sussex, they need ABB though, so maybe they will gimme a place.
    You guys know any place between Southampton and Bristol?(good unis which are good for psychology)

BTW Lindsey why don't u like your uni? do you not like partying 4 times a week also? :no:
    I'm doing nursing so it's impossible for me to go partying 4 times a week even if I wanted to lol, which I really don't. I don't like the people on my course they are really *****y and don't seem to understand anything to do with the course at all. They all come from sheffield and already have their own groups of friends. In most lectures and seminars I can't hear anything because people talk and laugh all the way through (we have lectures of over 250 people so the noise is awful). I don't like the way the course is run either, it's really disorganised.

I want to get out of there.

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing nursing so it's impossible for me to go partying 4 times a week even if I wanted to lol, which I really don't. I don't like the people on my course they are really *****y and don't seem to understand anything to do with the course at all. They all come from sheffield and already have their own groups of friends. In most lectures and seminars I can't hear anything because people talk and laugh all the way through (we have lectures of over 250 people so the noise is awful). I don't like the way the course is run either, it's really disorganised.

I want to get out of there.

xxxx
    if u can,go to portsmouth, thats where i am applying. The uni is really good and people love it here. No one go in groups there it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverwolfalpha)
    if u can,go to portsmouth, thats where i am applying. The uni is really good and people love it here. No one go in groups there it seems.
    i want to go to king's college london. they have already said that if i do well this year i can transfer into the 2nd year there

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    i want to go to king's college london. they have already said that if i do well this year i can transfer into the 2nd year there

xxxx
    nice one girl, good luck!
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Decided what you're doing yet?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.