RRAAAnn
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The power system of a spacecraft must provide a constant 28.0 V for the equipment on board, independent of the current supplied.
This can be achieved using two separate power supplies A and B connected in the series as shown in the diagram below.

Power supply A has an e.m.f. of 20.0 V and an internal resistance of 0.40 Ω.
Power supply B provides a variable voltage and has negligible internal resistance. Its voltage
varies automatically to maintain the constant 28.0 V.

When the current is 10.0 A,
(i) show that the voltage output of B is 12.0 V

answer:
‘Lostvolts’V=Ir=10.0×0.40=4.0V (1) VB =28.0–VA =28.0–(20.0+4.0)=12.0 (1)
I'm quite confused here. The question says the emf is 20V. Is the emf not lost volts+ terminal potential difference ? I'm confused as to why they calculate lost volts and add it to the emf??? HELPPP!
workhards
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
hi, so first you're correct in saying you have to calculate the lost volts - but do that for A only. then find what the terminal p.d. of A would be (i.e. emf of A minus the lost volts you just calculated). Then we know that the terminal p.d. of A + the p.d. of B = 28V, so from there you should get the correct answer of 12V for B
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (13)
27.66%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (19)
40.43%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
4.26%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (2)
4.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
8.51%
I’m starting to consider my university options (6)
12.77%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
2.13%

Watched Threads