Help with MCQ on momentum and energy conservation

Watch this thread
fluffypoopies
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I dont get why the answer is A (I keep getting D) could someone explain please?

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 20-10-55 Question paper (A-level) Paper 1 - November 2020 - AQA-74081-Q.png
Views: 8
Size:  74.6 KB
I calculated the initial KE of the pelet to be 100J and then the final KE of them both to be 5J (using the PCLM and the KE formula), leaving 95J of GPE which gives a height of approx 100m.
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
Momentum would give them both moving with 10ms^-1 post impact, which would give about 5m vertical displacement.
Driving_Mad
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fluffypoopies)
I dont get why the answer is A (I keep getting D) could someone explain please?

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-21 at 20-10-55 Question paper (A-level) Paper 1 - November 2020 - AQA-74081-Q.png
Views: 8
Size:  74.6 KB
I calculated the initial KE of the pelet to be 100J and then the final KE of them both to be 5J (using the PCLM and the KE formula), leaving 95J of GPE which gives a height of approx 100m.
KE after of pellet and block = 5J. Set this equal to mgh and solved.

(Mechanics is more pain than not being able to watch a functioning DAZN stream )
fluffypoopies
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Driving_Mad)
KE after of pellet and block = 5J. Set this equal to mgh and solved.

(Mechanics is more pain than not being able to watch a functioning DAZN stream )
Ohhh, I get that now. But you see how originally there were 100J of energy, does the remaining 95J get dissipated? I was assuming the 95J got converted to GPE whoops
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fluffypoopies)
Ohhh, I get that now. But you see how originally there were 100J of energy, does the remaining 95J get dissipated? I was assuming the 95J got converted to GPE whoops
Why is energy necessary? Momentum gives the post impact velocity of 10, then suvat gives
s = 10^2/(2g)
Admittedly, the suvat formula is basically KE and GPE. But yes, its not elastic as both bodies move with the same velocity afterwards. Its as inelastic as you can get.
Last edited by mqb2766; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (8)
44.44%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (4)
22.22%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
11.11%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (0)
0%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (0)
0%
I’m starting to consider my university options (3)
16.67%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (0)
0%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
5.56%

Watched Threads