Changing from full time to part time

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi there,

I'm currently enrolled on a full time course and have completed term 1 only where I then went onto maternity leave. I'm due to return in January 2023 to start term 2. I do feel this may be difficult with my child. University is stressful already and I can't imagine doing it with a tiny baby.

Does anyone know if I can ask to turn to part time commencing term 2 or do I have to complete year 1 first?

Also, if I then wanted to change to full time am I able to accelerate it?
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi there,

I'm currently enrolled on a full time course and have completed term 1 only where I then went onto maternity leave. I'm due to return in January 2023 to start term 2. I do feel this may be difficult with my child. University is stressful already and I can't imagine doing it with a tiny baby.

Does anyone know if I can ask to turn to part time commencing term 2 or do I have to complete year 1 first?

Hi there.

Admit-One or artful_lounger may be able to help

Best wishes
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

Very much depends on your uni and course and how full/part-time study works there, so you really need to find out from them what your options are.

For example at SOAS, where I currently study, BA students are only able to go to part-time study after first year - and must do first year full time. They may I believe re-accelerate their studies later. However, in all cases they use the full-time funding model for student finance, which may create issues later.

At the OU on the other hand, it's very easy to scale up or down the number of credits you take in a year, and the only limit is that you must take at minimum 30 credits per year to remain enrolled on the programme, typically - and regardless of your intensity (up to and including full time equivalent intensity) the programmes are considered to be funded under the part-time model.

Other unis and courses may have various options between those extremes, or may simply not offer any part-time possibilities.
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hello

Hi there,

Hello there!

Hope you are doing well.

It depends on the course that you are currently studying. DMU offers plenty of courses that come with a part-time option. If you are already studying with us, then all you need to do is get in touch with your faculty, in which your course is based and they will process your request further for you. They can also provide you further support regarding determining if you can change from term 2.

You can find our faculty contact details by visiting the following link: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/current-studen...e-centres.aspx. Our faculty offices are open Monday-Friday, from 9-5pm.

I hope this helps, however, should you require further assistance kindly do not hesitate to message us back

Many Thanks!

Best Wishes,

Swarda, De Montfort University Enquiry Team
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (14)
25.93%
As I expected (15)
27.78%
Harder (22)
40.74%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.56%

Watched Threads