Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you had any near-death escapes?
    Any by this I don't mean "I saw the light!" - I'm talking about times when you could easily have been killed (or very seriously injured), but somehow dodged it by millimeters or seconds.

I had one over the summer when me and my parents went walking in some woodland.
    It ended up getting very windy and just as we were coming through a gate, we heard a crack overhead and this huge tree trunk came flying to the ground. Some of its leaves caught my back, and I soon realised that had I been standing 3-4 feet further back, the trunk would have smashed straight into my head :zomg:
    I have never been more shocked/shaken in my entire life.

ReputationRep:
    Eek! No I don't think I have apart from when I ate a nut chocolate and had a fairly serious allergic reaction, if I'd have left it any longer than i did going to the hospital I could've gone into anaphylactic shock and potentially died. But yeah, I try to avoid nuts... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've had quite a few, though I tend to forget them now.

- When I was two I ran out into a road in front of a car. The car stopped around 5cm from me.

- Aged three or four I almost drowned when I fell into a swimming pool in Ibiza. A teenage girl came along just in time to pull me out when I couldn't reach the surface.

I've almost died on other occasions too, but not ones that I can quantify in small amounts of time or distance.

ReputationRep:
    I've nearlly been run over countless time's, not because I dont look where I'm going just the people around here drive so fast they come out of nowhere.

Also I went into hospital and the doctors told me they couldn't take my appendix out because it was too 'messy' however later that day it was so close to bursting, I can't remember anything I just kept blacking out.

Yes; almost drowned when I was a kid but was rescued and was in a car accident, but thank gawd for the seatbelt.

ReputationRep:
    When I was ten, I got out of the bath and into my room. My towel caught fire from the heater and I was screaming and jumping up and down. [This obviously didn't help a great deal]. But yeah, it was scary.

ReputationRep:
    i've nearly been run over i think

but last november i had alcohol poisoning (idiotic, i know, but there're excuses) and had the ambulance come any later, or hadn't been called at all, i would have died... i was unbelievably shaken

ReputationRep:
    I was hit by a car, but only suffered some bruising. It could have been worse.

ReputationRep:
    I rarely look when crossing the road just use my hearing to determine if a car is coming or not nearly epic failed countless times.

ReputationRep:
    No. Nothing. Eek.

ReputationRep:
    Got run off the road into a ditch on a 60mph country road by two coaches driving side by side. If we'd driven that bit faster/slower then we would've met on a blind bend and we would have had a head on collision

ReputationRep:
    i remember when i was a kid.. say 4 years old.. we had a pond in the back garden.. and my cousin pushed me in there.. and i couldnt swim so i was pretty much drowning..i rememher feeling a frog jump over my head.. and wehn i was pretty much gonna keel over and go down to the bottom of the pond i saw a bright light.. i aint kidding you lot alright.. i swear.. it could have either been the light from the sky or something much greater.. i believe it was something much greater

as i grew up i was always scared of water.. always.. even when i would have a bath i would kinda get panicky with all the wather going down my head etcc... a few years after that i learnt how to swim all by myself.. twas a great moment .. but still to this day im fearful of relaly deep waters.

ReputationRep:
    coming back from uni, dragging my trolley behind me, i had to cross the road and of course i pushed the wait button for the green man, the green man came on so i started to cross this two way road. on one side (near side) the cars had stopped so i crossed went midway into the road, i could see a car coming pretty fast, ...but its a red light so of course its going to stop, went a little further slowly, the car came closer but its speed wasnt reducing, hmmm, i went a little bit more ahead but the car just went right past me at its current speed, i had to stop and when i stopped my trolley pushed me slightly forward i nearly got hit by the car, i was like oh **** that was close. i crossed the road then three seconds afterwards i see a police car going at high speed just behind the car (the police car was going really fast so even though it was three seconds behind it was quite far behind) i realised then obviously what was going on.
    i didnt feel near death at the time but it reminded me of so many people who had been killed by a car chased by the police , or a stolen car etc.

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few, but they don't make great stories. But does make you enjoy life more.

ReputationRep:
    i choked on a smarties lid :cool:

ReputationRep:
    When I was about 12 I fell from this massive tree in my neighbour's back garden. It was atleast 3 stories high. I would have died if I hadn't hit every branch on the way down. The last branch I hit went right between my legs (pretty much a near death thing for a guy) and it winded me. I then, whilst straddling the branch, rolled to its underside and fell a metre or so onto a metal trailer. It was so painful and I was dizzy for weeks.

Stupid me but I did get a kiss off the girl who was there with me. Bonus

ReputationRep:
    Everytime i visted my cousins house!!

I was very nearly run over.... twice. Once this mad man on a motorbike in a park. And once by this 100 mph idiot how ran through a red light!

ReputationRep:
    i was in a car accident on wednesday. my car has been written off. the other car hit my door and completely bent it inwards. the door panel is also buggered. i was just really shaken and had a sore back. god knows how i didnt get injured.

ReputationRep:
    was nearly in a plane crash. i think it was philadelphia airport and there was a sandstorm and really high winds and as we touched down on the runway we literally bounced and went straight back up and as we looked out the windows we saw another plane on the ground on the runway right in front of us. so thank heavens for the quick reactions of the pilot!!

ReputationRep:
    I feel I'm forgetting some incidents, but I've fallen into a fast-flowing river when I was quite young and managed to grab onto a branch and eventually get pulled out. I also fell through some thin ice on a lake, and managed to drag myself out, but I really had to expend my full energies on that one. I've also been in a quite respectable car crash (I wasn't driving) but realistically I didn't come out of it with much in the way of injuries, so I'll not count that one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.