The Student Room Group

I don't feel like I can do my year abroad

I'm meant to be going on my year abroad in August at Yonsei University. However, my mental health has been bad for the past couple of years and it really feels like I can't do it. Just moving to uni was difficult for me this year, and it's an hour from home. Going to the other side of the world seems way too daunting and difficult. I've never even left the UK before. I'm going to miss my family so much, and I have so many fears of something bad happening while I'm away, like someone dying or getting in an accident. No proof that that will happen, but I can't get the thought out of my head that technically there's a possibility. And I also just see myself friendless and with really bad mental health for the whole year I'm there...

If I don't go, I know that one day I'll regret it though because this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. And I really like my course and this is a compulsory part of it, I get the best grades in my language modules. Really, I know that logically there is no option but to go but I don't know if I'll physically be able to go and get myself to stay there.

I don't think I've been very honest about my feelings towards the year abroad with my tutors or friends. Just this week my tutor asked me if I'll be okay on the year abroad, and I told her I'd be fine. And my friends know I'm worried but when it comes up in conversation I tend to laugh it off and try change the subject. My family know the most about how I feel, but a lot of the time they talk about how hard me going abroad would be for THEM which makes me feel even worse.

I've spoken to the wellbeing advisor at uni and she really thinks I should go. The thing is, I feel the same but I don't know if I have the strength to put myself through it. Has anyone been in a similar position or have any advice?
Quite a lot of the time if you are apprehensive about going out of your comfort zone it means you would get something from it and it would be worthwhile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending