Non-Price Discrimination

Watch this thread
JimmyDanger
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
If an Oligopoly participates in non-price competition could it be argued that heavy spending on advertising is a misallocation of resources as it exploits consumers' irrational and biased motives? Could this be a source of criticism for an Oligopoly that is considered to be competitive and how could a government legislate for such a market failure may be through tax relief on capital investment or something else?
jjxton
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
within an oligopoly little is done to increase market share but sales growth, the idea is that they stop caring about market share as they cant gain anymore and instead care about differentiation and innovation for increased revenue or enter new markets,

the competition and high regulation means they will have to have consumer wants within their focal vision over profitability, very good for consumers as they have good choice and good prices - less will be spent on marketing and more on R&D

because if you think about it anything they do competitors will follow, like wise with said firm to their competitors - in pricing, for example if a bank lowers the price on a current add on packaged accounts then all competitors must match this price to retain the market share or face customers switching

Oligopolies are highly regulated to ensure that they dont become monopiles and price too high to exploit customers in the first place to prevent market failure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads