Gym

Watch this thread
username54
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys,
I would like to start going gym but I don't know where to start. Any help, advice or tips please ?
pfizer9
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
gaining muscle or losing weight?
username54
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by pfizer9)
gaining muscle or losing weight?
gaining muscle
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Search for the fitness faq. a good place to start
fitness315
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
If you are wanting to go build muscle, find a good gym close to you and get someone to walk you round. They will also explain each machine and how they should be used to avoid injuries. Look online for some workout plan (can find plenty online and social media) or you could look into if your gym has PT's. This isn't necessary but if you are completely new it may be beneficial to have a couple of sessions to get into the swing of things and understand your nutrition.

Plan which workouts you are doing on each day, this will help you to stick to your workouts (I do this ). Also it may help to plan your meals, this will help you stick to your macros and save money on your shopping.

The one thing I do every week is write my short and long term goals, this could be something as little as plan my meals or stick to workouts for the week. This helps with accountability!
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Hire a qualified fitness trainer who can help. You can easily see if you can find one that is located at your local gym for starters. Do also join in some exercise classes. Make brief summary notes.

When going to do your food shopping do a quick weekly meal plan. Find and print off a recipe each week from the useful BBC good food site. Read it really carefully and at least twice too. Know how the physical store in question operates and what it looks like. This is how to save some money.
meemmeememme
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by username54)
gaining muscle
With gaining muscle you should focus on increasing your protein intake which I think is 2 x your kg, Im not sure tho I can’t remember. Anyway, focus on weight training and lifting heavy weights, and rather than having a billion different routines each time you go, keep a consistent plan of what your doing and what day your doing it. Make sure you include a rest day so ur body has time to heal. Look into bulking, which is eating more than your maintenance calories which helps muscle being built. You have to ensure your eating a lot to build muscle and then you can shred the fat that’s gained from this by ‘cutting’ it. Keep a high protein intake from sources such as meat, oats, nuts, Greek yogurt etc. and try to include one source of protein in each of your meals, and be consistent with showing up to the gym. Look at taking protein powders- whey isolate preferably- and you can also have creatine temporarily, and pre workout if you want to have a boost of energy (not really necessary). You don’t have to go every day- 4 times is more than enough. Include one day of cardio so your working your heart muscles as well. There are a ton of fitness advice on the internet like jpg fitness etc. Hope this was useful n sorry for any wrong info as I’m rusty on this.
JVM2020
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Exercise classes will be a real benefit to you.

I have felt helped by exercise classes when I used to attend.
username54
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks for all your help guys
karenburton1305
Rep:
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by meemmeememme)
With gaining muscle you should focus on increasing your protein intake which I think is 2 x your kg, Im not sure tho I can’t remember. Anyway, focus on weight training and lifting heavy weights, and rather than having a billion different routines each time you go, keep a consistent plan of what your doing and what day your doing it. Make sure you include a rest day so ur body has time to heal. Look into bulking, which is eating more than your maintenance calories which helps muscle being built. You have to ensure your eating a lot to build muscle and then you can shred the fat that’s gained from this by ‘cutting’ it. Keep a high protein intake from sources such as meat, oats, nuts, Greek yogurt etc. and try to include one source of protein in each of your meals, and be consistent with showing up to the gym. Look at taking protein powders- whey isolate preferably- and you can also have creatine temporarily, and pre workout if you want to have a boost of energy (not really necessary). You don’t have to go every day- 4 times is more than enough. Include one day of cardio so your working your heart muscles as well. There are a ton of fitness advice on the internet like jpg fitness etc. Hope this was useful n sorry for any wrong info as I’m rusty on this.
I agree with the above! Just ease yourself into it and find what works with your routine. Re protein powders i take this recovery powder and i've found i'm gradually starting to not feel as depleted after exercising. Work on coming up with a meal plan that includes a reliable source of protein in most of your meals too - there should be free guides available online.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads