The Student Room Group

I need to get a C in English Language. How do I work out what marks I need to get?

Hi, I did my NEAs which were 20% of grade but teacher wasn't allowed to tell us what we got. And honestly I am not sure I did well in them and can't seem to find online what marks I needed to get to get a C in them (it's out of 100 marks).
For the 2 exams upcoming, they are 100 marks each but have a 'scaling factor' so are actually 200 marks each? Anyhow, AQA says I need 204/400 in them to get a C grade which is about 50% but other websites say I need 60-69% to get a C at A level.
I know I'm not going to get an A or anywhere close and I am fine with that, but I really need the C for my conditional offer to uni and just wanted to work out what I needed to get marks wise so I don't panic too much.
Original post by Sophie_6666
...I really need the C for my conditional offer to uni and just wanted to work out what I needed to get marks wise so I don't panic too much.

Unfortunately, nobody can answer that question, for a couple if reasons.

1. Exam boards don't set the grade boundaries until after the papers have been marked. That's because the paper might have been easier or more difficult that normal - so the grade boundaries move about each year.

2. This year, to avoid suddenly undoing the grade inflation which has occurred over the last two Covid years, they'll be setting grade boundaries differently anyway. They'll look at the proportion of students getting each grade in 2019 and 2021, and set the boundaries such that the proportion who get that grade this year will be the mid-point between the two. So even guessing where the boundaries will be this year is likely to be inaccurate.
Original post by Sophie_6666
Hi, I did my NEAs which were 20% of grade but teacher wasn't allowed to tell us what we got. And honestly I am not sure I did well in them and can't seem to find online what marks I needed to get to get a C in them (it's out of 100 marks).
For the 2 exams upcoming, they are 100 marks each but have a 'scaling factor' so are actually 200 marks each? Anyhow, AQA says I need 204/400 in them to get a C grade which is about 50% but other websites say I need 60-69% to get a C at A level.
I know I'm not going to get an A or anywhere close and I am fine with that, but I really need the C for my conditional offer to uni and just wanted to work out what I needed to get marks wise so I don't panic too much.

what exam board are you with? you can usually check the previous year grade boundaries and get an idea of yours from that. Obviously they won't be the same as this years boundaries but it won't be drastically different i wouldn't think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending