The Student Room Group

Anyone know much about watches?

This might be a little weird but I was at a concert yesterday, and there was this drunk guy next to me, and at the end of the concert, he told me he wanted to give me something, and he put a watch in my hand :/
I hope he meant to do that and doesn’t regret it when he’s sober :lol: but anyway, now I have a watch and I quite like it - but I know nothing about it.

It’s too big but I’m not sure if it would be worth paying to get it adjusted, so I’d really appreciate it if someone could tell me a few things:
- rough value? (I.e. is it a very budget £5 watch, or would it be worth paying a little extra to adjust it so I can wear it?)
- what’s that little dial around the edge that only spins in one direction?
- brand/model?
- looks like a men’s watch to me - is it?
- anything else you might know about the watch cause seriously I don’t have a clue…

If anyone can help, thank you so much!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Mate that’s a Rolex
Probs worth at least £5k
You’re one lucky person 🤣
Original post by joshspullen
Mate that’s a Rolex
Probs worth at least £5k
You’re one lucky person 🤣

Oh **** 😂
Do I contact the organisers of the concert and try to give it back to him..? I mean… that’s a lot :s-smilie:
I somehow knew without clicking the pic it would be a Rolex :rolleyes:
bit random, my spidey sense wonders what is really going on here

two thoughts, fake Rolexs are really common (how the second hand moves is one giveaway), and real ones run a lot more than £5k - maybe they were trying to impress you

its not hard to pinch a watch off someone's arm at a concert - maybe its stolen property and they didn't want to get caught with it

Your call what you do next, if you assume its a fake and want to adjust it then its pretty easy, there should be a pin in the side of each link of the bracelet, you push the pin(s) out - google it and it will make sense. The pins can be quite stiff

If you think its legit then the serial number (or event organisers) would potentially get it home . . .
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by LittleSkink
bit random, my spidey sense wonders what is really going on here

two thoughts, fake Rolexs are really common, and real ones run a lot more than £5k - maybe they were trying to impress you

its not hard to pinch a watch off someone's arm at a concert - maybe its stolen property and they didn't want to get caught with it

Your call what you do next, if you assume its a fake and want to adjust it then its pretty easy, there should be a pin in the side of each link of the bracelet, you push the pin(s) out - google it and it will make sense. The pins can be quite stiff

If you think its legit then the serial number (or event organisers) would potentially get it home . . .

If I took it to a jeweller, would they be able to tell me if it’s real or not?
How do I find the serial number?
You’re right - the whole situation seems very odd to me. My dad was with me and thinks he saw the guy wearing the watch during the concert. He’s also looked up how to check for a genuine Rolex and the little at-home checks he’s done suggest that it could be real, but I do think it would be safer to find out for sure.
Thanks for your reply! :smile:
just looked at the photo, definitely a fake (IMO having never seen this watch!) - the bubble over the date looks all wrong - its not quite square and too big for the numbers

Rolex make some of the best watches in the world, the face would not look shonky like that
just looked at the photo, definitely a fake (IMO having never seen this watch!) - the bubble over the date looks all wrong - its not quite square and too big for the numbers

Rolex make some of the best watches in the world, the face would not look shonky like that

Alright, thank you!
still fun to wear?

google images of a genuine Rolex you will see what I mean, the sweep of the second hand is the other give away - does it move in steps or sweep? My guess is steps

it also looks like there are some scratches on the glass face, good watch's use stuff like Sapphire glass which is incredibly hard to scratch
still fun to wear?

google images of a genuine Rolex you will see what I mean, the sweep of the second hand is the other give away - does it move in steps or sweep? My guess is steps

it also looks like there are some scratches on the glass face, good watch's use stuff like Sapphire glass which is incredibly hard to scratch

Very much so! I might get it adjusted anyway lol, I do quite like it.

Looks like about 4 steps per second to me - quick Google suggests that’s a little slow.

Oh no I think that was just dust, I cleaned it and can’t see anything now.
i mean it could be for a number of reasons
- probably trying to impress you
- might be a fake
- might have stolen it off someone and given it to you to cover himself (what @LittleSkink said)

or i think you should be wary in case there's a tracking device in it. like some men can give a 'gift' to women with a tracker in it so they can track them
this might not be the case but i definitely think you should go to a watch person shop and talk to them about it (it is real, has it got a tracker, how much is it worth etc)
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
i mean it could be for a number of reasons
- probably trying to impress you
- might be a fake
- might have stolen it off someone and given it to you to cover himself (what @LittleSkink said)

or i think you should be wary in case there's a tracking device in it. like some men can give a 'gift' to women with a tracker in it so they can track them
this might not be the case but i definitely think you should go to a watch person shop and talk to them about it (it is real, has it got a tracker, how much is it worth etc)

Thank you, I know a couple of places that might be able to help so I’ll ask my parents if I can go today and find out. He did creep me out which I know is a bad sign, I didn’t really trust him, and his wife was telling him to leave me alone but he wouldn’t :/
Original post by RushingRiver
Thank you, I know a couple of places that might be able to help so I’ll ask my parents if I can go today and find out. He did creep me out which I know is a bad sign, I didn’t really trust him, and his wife was telling him to leave me alone but he wouldn’t :/

bro what- he has a wife? i'm sorry but if a man won't leave a girl alone even after their partner said it then that's a red flag
Original post by ArizonaRobbins
bro what- he has a wife? i'm sorry but if a man won't leave a girl alone even after their partner said it then that's a red flag

In his defence he was fine to start with, he only became a problem after having a little too much to drink. But yes, he was a very dodgy guy :s-smilie:
wow @ArizonaRobbins would never have thought of a tracker - you can tell I am a bloke

saw in the news a while back about folks doing something like this with Apple Air Tags - having 2 teenage daughters I made sure they saw that
I asked my parents if I could go check with a professional, they said no, I had a panic attack, and now they’ve taken it off me because apparently that will “help”… I’m terrified just knowing that the watch is in the house :/
I know I’m overreacting but aah :frown:
stay calm, can't imagine a tracker would fit in a watch
stay calm, can't imagine a tracker would fit in a watch

Probably not but at least getting it double checked would stop me panicking about it. Doesn’t take much to make me panic though :redface:
Original post by RushingRiver
I asked my parents if I could go check with a professional, they said no, I had a panic attack, and now they’ve taken it off me because apparently that will “help”… I’m terrified just knowing that the watch is in the house :/
I know I’m overreacting but aah :frown:

hey... i know that i was the one who started the tracker thought, but it's more than likely that there's no tracker. like i seriously doubt it now. i think it was when you said he has a wife. his wife would never let him do it and you even said he was fine when he was sober
so having said that in the previous post, i really doubt that there's a tracker in the watch (also with that @LittleSkink said in their latest post - a tracker can't fit. i never even thought about that tbh i just jump to the worst possible scenario because that's what i'm like as a person) i know i'm contradicting what i said in my first post but i've taken a step back and looked at the situation and to be honest i feel a little stupid having suggested that in the first place - the whole thought seems silly haha
so seriously. there's no need to worry and i'm really sorry if i freaked you out but please don't overthink anything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending